Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Text formatting help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Text formatting help Post 302575968 by vasanth_123 on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 10:09:59 AM
Old 11-23-2011
OS is HP-UX. awk works fine. But it gives error.

EDIT: It works with the latest command. Thanks. What if the serial number starts with other letter?and What if the there is more than 1 serial number? I have some serial number starts with 'N' and some files have more than one serial number. I want the extra serial number to be in another column.

Last edited by vasanth_123; 11-23-2011 at 11:15 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting text

Hi, I am having a file containing entries like: .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysName.0 .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysLocation.0 .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysServices.0 .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysORLastChange.0... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text Formatting

I have a file like this with 1 lac lines. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 I would like to format the above text file 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text file formatting

Hi all! I'm new in unix, and faced with some difficulties. So I have text file f.e. "textfile" which contains rows like: aaa bbb ccc ddd How could I format it, so the file looks like: aaabbb cccddd Thanks in andvance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: consta.v
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

text formatting

Hi, any idea input: mr.smith stvenson: /address #/tel no/ personal data profile. mrs.smith stevenson: /address #/tel no/occupation/ personal data profile. output: mr.smith stvenson address #: tel no: personal data profile. mrs.smith stevenson address #: tel no: occupation:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting TEXT

Hello, I have the following lines in a text file: /var/spool/postfix/defer/1/15C86B0547C /var/spool/postfix/defer/1/19AD1B054A2 /var/spool/postfix/defer/2/25A16B05493 /var/spool/postfix/defer/6/626FBB05496 /var/spool/postfix/defer/6/634D4B0544A /var/spool/postfix/defer/6/6A8ACB05499... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text formatting

I have an input file as below. 1 Sanjib Gayen 2 Chetan Jadhav 3 Vijaykumar Uddi 4 Pinaki Sarkar I want to generate an output file as below. 1-Sanjib Gayen 2-Chetan Jadhav (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: R0H0N
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text formatting

A folder is having n number of files each file is having column names in it .Hence using below code . for file in /xxx/sss/* do filename=$( basename $file ) sed -e '1,2d; $d; /^*$/d; /selected\.$/d' ${file} | \ sed -e '1s/^/INSERT INTO '${filename}' VALUES (/; $!s/$/,/; $s/$/);/'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Text formatting

I am generating the o/p as: BLANSWER 112747 112747 TBLQSTN 983 692 INITIATIVE 35 35 PAIGN 3122 3538 IGNCONTACT 90136 93534 IGNGROUP 27 27 AIGNSTEP 16899 20437 AIGNTYPE ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Me with the formatting of text

Hi, I am new to this forum; I need a help for my scripting problem. I have made a script in Unix which is extracting a report but the issue is that report is not in a proper format. Original Report Ex: Field 1....................... a b c d e f g Field 2............. @ID.@ID Field... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tush
4 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Text formatting

I know I've been away from the forums for past couple of months. But I am back now : ) I used to hit ctrl+B and ctrl+I after selecting the text to make text bold or italic respectively. (Pressing the keys would add and tags etc) However, that is not working anymore. Did I miss something? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: clx
13 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)					      OFoldStream manipulator						 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)