Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk and basename
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk and basename Post 302575865 by ygemici on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 04:41:38 AM
Old 11-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamed101
Like this?
Code:
ssh_cmd="ssh $host \" ps aux | grep -v grep | grep $process | awk -F/ '{print $NF}' \" ";

--ahamed
ahamed you must escape with a backslash for pass to awk that as a paramater
Code:
{print \$NF}

and my way
Code:
ssh_cmd="ssh $host ps aux|awk '{if(\$11==\"$process\") print \$9}'"

regards
ygemici

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse of basename

Hi, Can someone let me know how to find the reverse of the basename i.e i have /apps/tiv/pmon/xxxx.dat and I want /apps/tiv/pmon/ Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using find command with awk or basename

Hi, I am using the following command to extract any log files that are older than 3 days using the following command. find DIR/LOGDIR -type f -mtime +3 |grep LOG > log_list.out The results are DIR/LOGDIR/1.LOG DIR/LOGDIR/2.LOG DIR/LOGDIR/3.LOG DIR/LOGDIR/4.LOG How do inculde (basename... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

basename problem

Hi guys if i do a=`basename -e -s /home/j/john/*` du -k -h $a | sort -nr | head -10 why when i run the script does it work but also say usage basename string any ideas thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: musicmancanora4
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

basename $0

hi, can anyone help me by saying what is basename.. i have seen this in many programs where the basename is used.... thanks, Krips (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting basename inside awk script

hi if we have to use basename how can we do this in awk? did the below but is not working.. psg -t "?"| awk '{ command=($5 ~ /^/)? $9:$8 # cmd_name=`basename $command` (gives error) system("basename $command >>... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting basename in awk or nawk

I am having a hard time extracting the file name from the above code. Instead of printing /folder/file.1$.5$, I would like it to print the file name file.1$.5$. I have tried using basename but it looks like NAWK or AWK does not recognise basename. Each time I type it in, it prints out the word... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asemota
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basename

Hi, can anyone let me know how to interpret the below third line in the following code. Gone through the man pages of "basename", but no go. for f in *.foo; do base=`basename $f .foo` mv $f $base.bar done Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between $0 and basename

Hi, Could you please help me to know the difference between $0 and basename in unix how they useful in shell scripting. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnviyyapu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & basename puzzler - advise sought

Hi I have been able generate a file ($ELOG) that can have multiple lines within it. The first column represents the full path source file and the other is the full path target ... the file names are the same but the target directory paths are slightly different. <source_dir1>/file1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidra
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

$(basename $0)

what is the meaning of "script_name=$(basename $0)", can someone please explain? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi200389
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)