Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting a certain number with grep command Post 302575824 by amitranjansahu on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 02:04:23 AM
Old 11-23-2011
use -w option for whole word search

PHP Code:
grep -w 275 myfile.txt 
check man page of grep for more details
This User Gave Thanks to amitranjansahu For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting 10 digit number from txt files

Hi, Was wondering if you could give me an example of extracting a 10 digit number from 5 txt files using a regular expression (the number is always different ) and storing the numbers in variables Thanks C19 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a Number from Passage

( Database Connection Information Database server = DB2/AIX6000 8.1 SQL authorization ID = LAKNAR Local database alias = SAMPLE ROWSAFFECTED ------------ 1 1 record(s) selected. DB20000I The SQL command completed successfully. DB20000I The TERMINATE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laknar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a number from a string

Hi everyone, I have a string as follow ts1n65ulpa4096x16m16_130a_ss1p08v125c i would like to extract 4096 and 16 from string and save it into two variable. but this string could also have the form ts1n65ulpa32x16m16_130a_ss1p08v125c therefore the number before "x" could be 2 or 3 digits. i use... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of lines returned from a grep command

hi all, from a shell (ksh) script, i am doing a 'grep'. how do i find out the number of lines returned from that 'grep' command ?? thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting N lines match number X of a pattern

Hi All, as the title says I need to extract N lines after match number X of a pattern. e.g. 111 xxx xxx 111 yyy yyy 111 www www 111 zzz zzz I would like to extract the two lines after the second 111 occurrence. I tried with grep but I didn't find any options to do that. Any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting Number variable and the following digits.

HI all, I have output of something like this: crab: ExitCodes Summary >>>>>>>>> 12 Jobs with Wrapper Exit Code : 50117 List of jobs: 1-12 See https:///twiki/something/ for Exit Code meaning crab: ExitCodes Summary >>>>>>>>> 5 Jobs with Wrapper Exit Code : 8001 List of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting number of rows

if > wc -l data.txt > 100 (meaning there are 100 rows) i want to assgn 100 as n so that if i do >echo n it would give me 100 Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines for number greater than given number

Hello, I am newbie to bash scripting. Could someone help me with the following. I have log file with output as shown below **************************LOG************************* 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Pinging xx.xx.xx.xx with 32 bytes of data: 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Reply from xx.xx.xx.xx:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meena_2013
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting fixed length number from a text file

Hi, I have a text file with sample records as CASE ID: 20170218881083 Original presentment record for ARN not found for Re-presentment I want to extract the 23 digit number from this file. I thought of using grep but initially couldn't extract the required number. However, after... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep command to show the number of results

Hi I wanted to know if there is an option in grep command to show the number of results (not the number of lines of findings). Thanks (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
14 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)