Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help using one variable multiple times Post 302575645 by m.d.ludwig on Tuesday 22nd of November 2011 09:07:00 AM
Old 11-22-2011
Use:
Code:
while [[ 0 -lt $VarPizza ]]
do
  read -p "What toppings would you like" Toppings
   (( VarPizza = $VarPizza - 1 ))
done

(Indenting inside of loops is highly recommended)

Also, for validating the input, you can save a call to grep with:
Code:
until [[ "$VarPizza" = [1-9]+([0-9]) ]]

This also prevents someone from entering "0" for the number of pizzas.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching multiple times in same line

Hi, I am stuck with pattern matching. I need to match a particular pattern several times in a same line and replace them. for ex., I need to convert (abc XY) (bvf ZY) bla bla to XY ZY bla bla I tried.. s/\(+ (.+)\)/$1/gi and it works (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldtrash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to read data multiple times

I am developing a script to automate Global Mirroring on IBM DS8100's. Part of the process is to establish a global copy and wait until the paired LUN's Out of Sync tracks goes to zero. I can issue a command to display the ouput and am trying to use AWK to read the appropriate field. I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coachr
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to read data multiple times

I am developing a script to automate Global Mirroring on IBM DS8100's. Part of the process is to establish a global copy and wait until the paired LUN's Out of Sync tracks goes to zero. I can issue a command to display the ouput and am trying to use AWK to read the appropriate field. I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coachr
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crons executed multiple times.

For some reason my crons are being executed twice. Any suggestion?? I'm currently on 5.8 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running same script multiple times concurrently...

Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to help me out. I've got a Python script that I need to run 60 times concurrently (with the number added as an argument each time) via nightly cron. I figured that this would work: 30 1 * * * for i in $(seq 0 59); do $i \&; done However, it seems to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckhowe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doing one thing multiple times

Hi, I wrote a awk line here: awk 'BEGIN {OFS="\t"} {print $0, int(rand()*($2-$1 + 1) + $1) }' filename Basically what it does is that it takes the start (column 1) and stop (column 2) and generates a random # in between start and stop. I want to take this a step further and have it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run same script multiple times in parallel

Hi all, I have a requirement in which a script invokes a Java program. Lets say script ABC invokes a java program with cfg file a parameter. This script takes 10 minutes to execute . Like this ineed to run the program 10 times meaning 100 minutes if i do it sequentially. If i open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahman_riyaz
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Multiple Times ?

hey mates, I was wondering if someone could assist me with this one, I have couple scripts that I would like to invoke from .sh ( One after another ) Script1 Script2 Script3 Is it possible to run script 2 after script one finished running ? And again start script 3 after script 2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NDxiak
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Column Multiple Times

Hello, I wonder if it my problem can be solved. Inside File1.txt, there are 3 columns. Inside File 2.txt, contain certain variable(in this case, only "3"). So I want to : (copy File 1 x Variable in File 2). Expected result are File 3.txt. Any help are really appreciated. File 1.txt -92.033... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert one charactor multiple times in VI

Hi Gurus, I forgot the command which can insert one character multiple times. for example: I need 50 "#" #############... I used the command before, it is very convenient. anybody can help this. thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Torhong
1 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Apr 1994 times(1)