Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers can someone explain shift command in script? Post 302575565 by frappa on Tuesday 22nd of November 2011 04:26:41 AM
Old 11-22-2011
Hi

from 'man bash':

Code:
       shift [n]
              The  positional parameters from n+1 ... are renamed to $1 ....  Parameters represented by the numbers $# down to $#-n+1 are unset.  n must be a non-
              negative number less than or equal to $#.  If n is 0, no parameters are changed.  If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1.  If n  is  greater  than
              $#, the positional parameters are not changed.  The return status is greater than zero if n is greater than $# or less than zero; otherwise 0.

so the effect is basically to switch to the (n+1)th command parameter.

Anyway, what are you actually trying to accomplish?

fra

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift command

There is an error when i am trying to use the shift command in this way: ($1 = -d, $2 = 123, $3 = -c etc etc) for $arg in $@ do case $arg in "-d") shift; (so that the $2 will become the $arg now) (and while it loop the 2nd time,) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shift command

Hi Folks, In shell scripting the maximum no. of command line parameters becomes 9(Am i right). If we want to get more than 9 parameters we use the shift command. Even here there are two possibilities. 1. Without the use of variables - The arguments are lost and the lost no. is equal to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding the shift command???

I am running a program where in I have this command which is giving error the shift: number is not correct. can you please tell me how shift actually works? the line which is giving error is- set $PARAM; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift Is it related somewhere to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX command to shift up

I would need the awk command or a better way to get my file that looks like 1234 5678 8912 3456 7890 to look like 1234,5678,8912,3456,7890 Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script assistance with shift J

Hey all, I need some assistance. I'm writing a script to eject tapes from a tape library, but the library is not a queued system and can only eject 15 tapes at a time. I added paste -d : -s so that it goes through full_tapes and puts each media_id on one line separated by the :. Now I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shift report script

hey guys, so i'm running into a wall here with my script. i simply can't figure out a way to get it to work. so, maybe you guys can help me. i'm trying to created a report of server alerts based on the time worked. what i have so far is curling nagios pages, removing all the extra html tags and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrell
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Explain me this command

find . -type f -ctime +3 -exec mv {} /somedirectory/ \; in particular "-ctime v/s -mtime" and "difference between +3 and -3" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rambo
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script: cannot shift error?

This is an assignment where we were supposed to create a script to get an orginal string and replace it with another. However when I run my script (change-lines), it says ./change-lines: cannot shift I do not where the problem is. help! #!/bin/sh # a shell function to print and error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alis
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Shift command

Hello Expert Can any one please explain what is the use of shift command in general terms: set -- $(ls -t) shift rm -Rf $* what is the use of shift command over here. Thanks a lot for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shift command help

#!/bin/bash hostname=$1; shift for hostname in $1 do ping $hostname done I want to run the above script as hostname.sh yahoo.com google.com cnn.com. I want to shift each hostname to $1. How can do that with above code as currently it's not shifting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
5 Replies
getopt(1)						      General Commands Manual							 getopt(1)

NAME
getopt - Parses command line flags and arguments SYNOPSIS
getopt format tokens DESCRIPTION
The getopt command is used to parse a list of tokens using a format that specifies expected flags and arguments. A flag is a single ASCII letter and, when followed by a : (colon), is expected to take a modifying argument that may or may not be separated from it by one or more tabs or spaces. (You can include multi-byte characters in arguments, but not as flag letters.) The getopt command completes processing when it has read all tokens or when it encounters the special token -- (double dash). It then out- puts the processed flags, a --, and any remaining tokens. If a token fails to match a flag, getopt writes a message to standard error. NOTES
In the csh, use the following command to run getopt: set argv=`getopt flag_string $*` EXAMPLES
The following is an example of the use of getopt in a skeleton shell script to parse options: #!/bin/sh # parse command line into arguments set -- `getopt a:bc $*` # check result of parsing if [ $? != 0 ] then exit 1 fi while [ $1 != -- ] do case $1 in -a) # set up the -a flag AFLG=1 AARG=$2 shift;; -b) # set up the -b flag BFLG=1;; -c) # set up the -c flag CFLG=1;; esac shift # next flag done shift # skip double dash # now do the work . . . The following are all equivalent arguments to the script: -a ARG -b -c -- A B C -a ARG -bc -- A B C -aARG -b -c -- A B C -b -c -a ARG -- A B C SEE ALSO
Commands: sh(1) Functions: getopt(3) getopt(1)