Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with untarring multiple files from tarred directories and subdirectories Post 302575444 by jim mcnamara on Monday 21st of November 2011 05:12:01 PM
Old 11-21-2011
tar does not take * wildcards when you are trying to extract files by name.

And, if you have compressed files inside a tar file, tar cannot decompress them and extract from them until they are standlone tar archive files.

All this assumes I understood what is going on here. Correct me where I don't get it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sftp multiple files and subdirectories

Hi, I'm new to using the sftp command prompt within the unix shell (usually I just use an FTP windows program). I've successfully connected to a remote server from within ssh. I've also been able to copy multiple files using the mget command e.g. mget *.html How do I copy all files,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbieg
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Remove Ctrl M characters in files from directories and its subdirectories

Hi, How to recursively remove Ctrl M characters in files from a directory and its sub directory ? I know unix2dos command is there but to remove in bunch of files ... ? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skdp
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tarred files not being put on tape

Hi I normally backup to tape using the following command in Solaris 9 on SUN Enterprise 3500 server: tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n data but after a power cut, the server went down without being shutdown since the UPS failed. Now when I issue the tar command I get the root (/) being full looks like it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress files as per timestamp in multiple subdirectories

I'd really appreciate if anyone could assist me with this code A directory with multiple subdirectories has multiple files which are timestamp'ed. We need to - compress files as per timestamp - save compressed file/s in the respective folder - delete the source files ============... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreewin7
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in concatenating multiple files from subdirectories

I want to concatenate multiple files recursively from sub-directories intoone file in Linux. I saved the following script as script.sh in $HOME/testing1 where I have several subdirectories and .txt files into them. I ran script.sh from the command prompt of $HOME/testing1 as ./script.sh. But it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj284
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in concatenating multiple files from subdirectories

I want to concatenate multiple files recursively from sub-directories intoone file in Linux. I saved the following script as script.sh in $HOME/testing1 where I have several subdirectories and .txt files into them. I ran script.sh from the command prompt of $HOME/testing1 as ./script.sh. But it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj284
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform 3 awk commands to multiple files in multiple directories

Hi, I have a directory /home/datasets/ which contains a bunch (720) of subdirectories called hour_1/ hour_2/ etc..etc.. in each of these there is a single text file called (hour_1.txt in hour_1/ , hour_2.txt for hour_2/ etc..etc..) and i would like to do some text processing in them. Each of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
20 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

show all text files in directories and subdirectories

Hi! I am trying to find all text files in my home directory that contain the string "C-d" so I tyied this : cd ~ find . -type f -exec grep -l "C-d" {} + but it took very long so I tryed this : ls -aR | xargs file |grep text but it didn't descend in the directories and it said :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelamahim
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip all the files including directories - subdirectories

Hi, Is is possible to zip a folder and all its contents within the folder ( including sub-directories and files) into a zip file? and can regain the same structure if unzipped? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
6 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2018-08-17 PTARGREP(1)