Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to avoid "cannot execute" issue with a runnable jar file? Post 302575368 by kchinnam on Monday 21st of November 2011 11:49:40 AM
Old 11-21-2011
serverA, serverB both are running Solaris8, JDK1.4.2_04.

Yes general understanding is you can't execute jar files directly. But that is not true from JDK1.2 on words, apparently both windows and Unix do recognize .jar associated with java and execute the class with main method specified in manifest file.
This article explins how that happens..> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...27.html?page=1

I also gave proof in my post that "myjar_r.jar" jar file is getting executed on serverB, but not on serverA.
Since test jar file is available on the net, anyone can test it.

I did check other things like how Unix file associations work using -->
/etc/magic,
/usr/dt/appconfig/types/C/datatypes.dt. I did check if this has something do with PATH, CLASSPATH settings or tty setting etc.. Bu all these settings look same on both servers.
That is why this problems looks very interesting and challenging.

Last edited by kchinnam; 11-21-2011 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: added more info

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoid "++ requires lvalue" Error in Loop Calculation

Hi All, Please help me to perform sum of values in a loop, I am getting following error: "total=0++432907765772: ++ requires lvalue" where actual statement is as : total=$total+$amt where amt can have +ve or -ve values Thanks Sandeepb (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepb
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining 3 AWK scripts to avoid use "temp" files

Hi everyone, Looking for a suggestion to improve the below script in which I´ve been working. The thing is I have 3 separated AWK scripts that I need to apply over the inputfile, and for scripts (2) and (3) I have to use a "temp" file as their inputfile (inputfile_temp and inputfile_temp1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problems with the jar -tvf command and "if" logic

Hi, I am reading a directory that has a list of jar files. I am searching these files for specific keywords. What i would like to do is write the address of the jar file to a new file if the search result is returned as false. For example; /home/user/JarDirectory/Examplefile.jar ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchie
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

""Help Me!""Beginner awk learning issue

Hi All, I have just now started learning awk from the source - Awk - A Tutorial and Introduction - by Bruce Barnett and the bad part is that I am stuck on the very first example for running the awk script. The script is as - #!/bin/sh # Linux users have to change $8 to $9 awk ' BEGIN ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to write all the jar name in single with delimiter ":" in beween the jar name

Hi All, I am having 7 jar files in a dir. abc like listed below bash-3.00$ cd abc bash-3.00$ ls 123.jar 23wdawd.jar dfsa23.jar dsa.jar wew234.jar adsd234234.jar dfsda423.jarNow i want to assign all this jar files to a variable in the below format ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "override protection 644 (yes/no)?" -ksh 88

Hi All, I'm using Ksh 88 version. I'm trying to remove the files using the below script .The code is working fine but i'm getting override protection 644 (yes/no)? message for every file .. Pelase suggest #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x File_Path="/etc/home/logs" Dest_Path="/etc/home/temp"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smile689
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi, I am using awk here. Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb). I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function. But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock). I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
MAVEN(1)							   User Commands							  MAVEN(1)

NAME
Maven - Installs a jar into /usr/share/maven-repo. SYNOPSIS
mh_installjar [option]... [pom] [jar] [link]... DESCRIPTION
Installs the jar file in /usr/share/maven-repo, at the correct location for Maven. The jar is copied into the build directory. It can also create additional links to the jar, usually located in /usr/share/java. Where [pom] is the location of the POM associated with the jar to install. GroupId, artifactId and version will be extracted from this file. [jar] is the path to the jar to install, usually located in the build folder. [link] is an additional link to the jar to install, usually there should be a link to usr/share/java/$jar.jar and usr/share/java/$jar-$version.jar to comply with the Java packaging guidelines. Note that there is no need to specify those particular links if the --java-lib option is used. OPTIONS
-h --help: show this text -V --version: show the version -p<package> --package=<package>: name of the Debian package which will contain this jar file -e<version>, --set-version=<version>: set the version for the jar, do not use the version declared in the POM file. -r<rules> --rules=<rules>: path to the file containing the rules to apply when cleaning the POM. Optional, the default location is debian/maven.rules Maven rules are used here to extract the groupId, artifactId and version from the POM file. -l --java-lib: Optional, if given it will install the jar into /usr/share/java to comply with the Debian Java specification. The jar will be installed as /usr/share/java/$name-$version.jar and a versionless link /usr/share/java/$name.jar will point to it, as well as the links installed in /usr/share/maven-repo -n<name> --usj-name=<name>: Optional, the name to use when installing the library in /usr/share/java when --java-lib is used. Defaults to the artifact id found in the POM. -j<version> --usj-version=<version>: Optional, the version to use when installing the library in /usr/share/java when --java-lib is used. Defaults to the version found in the POM. -s --no-usj-versionless: Optional, don't install the versionless link in /usr/share/java. This flag is used only when the -l or --java-lib option is given. -d<path> --dest-jar=<path>: Optional, the destination for the real jar. The other places where the jar appears, in the repository or in the list of links, will be symlinks to this jar. Defaults to /usr/share/java/$name-$version.jar if --java-lib is used, otherwise the jar is installed in the versioned path in the Maven reposi- tory. -c<classifier> --classifier=<classifier>: Optional, the classifier for the jar. Empty by default. -v --verbose: show more information while running -n --no-act: don't actually do anything, just print the results --skip-clean-pom: don't clean the pom, assume that a previous action ran mh_cleanpom with the correct options. mh_cleanpom is run only to extract the groupId, artifactId and version of the jar See also: mh_installpom(1), mh_installsite(1) Maven Repo Helper version 1.7.1 January 2012 MAVEN(1)