Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed failing for variable with special characters Post 302575346 by in2nix4life on Monday 21st of November 2011 10:55:53 AM
Old 11-21-2011
No sure what OS, shell, or version of sed you're using, but this may help point you in the right direction. You can insert another line to have sed search for any non-alphanumeric characters, in this case a "&" and escape it, the proceed with the replacement in the file:

Code:
echo $DEPLOYMGR_ADMIN_PASSWORD
Mypm&123

DEPLOYMGR_ADMIN_PASSWORD=$(echo $DEPLOYMGR_ADMIN_PASSWORD | sed 's#\([]\#\%\@\*\$\/&[]\)#\\\1#g')

echo $DEPLOYMGR_ADMIN_PASSWORD
Mypm\&123

sed -i "s/DEPLOYMGR_ADMIN_PASSWORD/$DEPLOYMGR_ADMIN_PASSWORD/g" credentials.txt

installationHome=INSTALLATION_HOME
password=Mypm&123

Hope this helps.
This User Gave Thanks to in2nix4life For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Manimpulation - special characters

Hello- I have a variables that contains a string like this usr/pass@SCHEMA I want to extract the usr/pass part and ignore the SCHEMA part, I tried to use this ${dbconn%%@} and apparently it will not work because @ is a special character. I tried \@ and still no go. Any idea how to solve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with special characters

Hi, I am reading a file (GC_JAR.log) which has entries like: 511725.629, 0.1122672 secs] 525268.975, 0.1240036 secs] 527181.835, 0.2068215 secs] 527914.287, 0.2884801 secs] 528457.134, 0.2548725 secs] I want to replace all the entries of "secs]" with just "secs" Thus, the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itzz.me
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters in a bash variable in sed

Hello, I am trying the following: echo __CHANGEME__ >> testfile VAR1="&&&" sed -i "s|__CHANGEME__|${VAR1}|" testfile cat testfile This results in testfile containing __CHANGEME____CHANGEME____CHANGEME__ Whereas I want it to result in &&& I understand that if VAR1="\&\&\&" then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnewbeee
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with many special characters

I started with this: counter1=1 cp file.txt file_${counter1}.tmp while read name1 do echo $name1 counter2=`expr $counter1 + 1` sed /'${name1}'/d file_${counter1}.txt > file_${counter2}.txt counter1=`expr $counter1 + 1` done < source.txtsource.txt contains the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakanino
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED with Special characters

Hello All Seeking the right one SED command. My attempt is: From orginal.txt by SED to target.txt sed -i "/('outbound-callerid/a\$ext->add($context, $exten, '', new ext_SipAddHeader('P-Preferred-Identity', '<sip:${CALLERID(nummer)}@carrier.com>'));" orginal.txtWhat am make wrong?:wall: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdbinder
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment Variable with Special characters

Hello all, I am facing with a problem of invoking an environment variable. If I use this command : /bin/ls -lt FILE_NM_?(20120515|20120516)??????_sas.sig | head -n1 | awk '{print $9}' It perfectly outputs the desired result. FILE_NM_20120516000000_sas.sig But if I do this:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with sed and substituting a string with special characters in variable

Hey guys, I know that title is a mouthful - I'll try to better explain my struggles a little better... What I'm trying to do is: 1. Query a db and output to a file, a list of column data. 2. Then, for each line in this file, repeat these values but wrap them with: ITEM{ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampsys
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special characters in SED

Need help in escaping special characters in sed command. Here is the the string which i am trying to find a replace with From :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID={//MESSAGE_ID} To :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID= X_EDELIVERY_MESSAGE_ID &amp; BATCH_ID= X_EDELIVERY_BATCH_ID Here is the sed command i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakishore
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing special characters from variable commands

Hi, I am fairly new to unix scripting and recently tasked with some reporting scripts. The reporting checks several batch jobs and this is quite iterative. Now I am trying to minimize script effort and maximize reusability as there are only slight nuances in the repetitive tasks. For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeniks
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk conditions failing (special characters?)

This is really frustrating because I can't figure it out. I'm running a health check script. One of the items I'm checking is the amount of memory on a server. I use the free command, which outputs something like this (excerpt) Mem: 100 100 100 100 Swap: 100 100 100 100 In my debugging... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustaDude
5 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)