Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newcomer
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Newcomer Post 302575313 by satish51392111 on Monday 21st of November 2011 09:24:20 AM
Old 11-21-2011
Thanks for the reply Huston.

The migration is because I don't want to be left knowing only Windows. Also, using Unix gives unparalleled advantages you cannot get with Windows. Nor can your room mates use it neither can your brother look into your personal files.

Now, I'll start with Mint.
But one issue. Can I run applications as I do in Windows?

Last edited by Scott; 11-21-2011 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: .

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Newcomer, I'm new..

Okay, I'm new on the damn forum and I don't know how I'd concentrate more on it. I keep pointing my mouse onto multiplayer games and I want to know how I can direct my mind and my mouse on the Unix topics here at the Unix forum. Where should I start from? Tips forum? Newbie forum? Any sites to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yyz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for a Perl newcomer! Transposing data from columns to rows

I have to create a Perl script which will transpose the data output from my experiment, from columns to rows, in order for me to analyse the data. I am a complete Perl novice so any help would be greatly appreciated. The data as it stands looks like this: Subject Condition Fp1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sarah_W
12 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Explain applications files (newcomer)

I just upacked a bz2 file and got the following: Jebs-Mac-mini:OXED jeb$ tar xvjf 0xED.tar.bz2 x 0xED.app/ x 0xED.app/Contents/ x 0xED.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/ x 0xED.app/Contents/Info.plist x 0xED.app/Contents/MacOS/ I assume the "x" means the files and directories were unpacked. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_writer
3 Replies
byobu-enable(1) 						       byobu							   byobu-enable(1)

NAME
byobu-enable, byobu-disable - wrapper script for enabling/disabling automatic startup of byobu after login into text console SYNOPSIS
byobu-enable byobu-disable DESCRIPTION
byobu-enable will do two things: 1) run byobu-launcher-install(1) to configure byobu(1) to launch automatically on login 2) then launch byobu(1) byobu-disable will simply run byobu-launcher-uninstall(1). BUGS
None found, yet. SEE ALSO
screen(1), byobu-config(1), byobu-export(1), byobu-status(1), byobu-status-detail(1) http://launchpad.net/byobu AUTHOR
This manpage was written by Jan Klepek <jan.klepek at gmail.com> and the utility was written by Dustin Kirkland <kirkland@ubuntu.com> for Ubuntu systems (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 published by the Free Software Foundation. The complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL on Debian/Ubuntu systems, or in /usr/share/doc/fedora-release-*/GPL on Fedora systems, or on the web at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt. byobu 6 January 2011 byobu-enable(1)