Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: corrupt disk
Operating Systems HP-UX corrupt disk Post 302575307 by vbe on Monday 21st of November 2011 09:04:36 AM
Old 11-21-2011
Can you make a recovery tape before anything else?
Normally these boxes can contain up to 3 disks, can you add one?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

corrupt or lost data

Thank you livin Free for all your help. We removed a lot of spool files and report files. Which should have freed up some space. But now I think a major problem we have is we have lost or corrupt files which are preventing us from coming up correctly. Can we load or can you copy us a directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NOT A CLUE
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Security Databases are corrupt. HELP!!

Help! SCO Unix 5.05. A relatievely new system went down on me today. I got the dreaded error: Out of Space on Device (1/42). I was able to clear up some space in the /tmp directory, however, when I try to boot, the system prompts me to go into single user mode and I get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I got a corrupt /etc/inittab file....what next?

Hi guys, For some reason a client has given us a Sun Netra T1 with Solaris 8 to administer for them. That's always good business. However, the other day we rebooted the machine and to our amazement, after doing the preliminary hardware tests, we got an error messgae saying that /etc/inittab was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ivo
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Causing a disk to be corrupt

Hmm, how to ask this without sounding too malicious... How might one go about causing a disk corruption in OS X specifically or via the command line in UNIX in general? Doesnt matter the severity of the problem, I just want to scare the person a little, then fix the problem for them. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yummator
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VXVM 3.5 Rootdg corrupt/recovery

Hi Everyone! Would someone please tell me if it is still true that rootdg should not be used for production/primary data and that you should create additional disk groups so that if rootdg gets corrupt you can recreate rootdg and then bring in the other groups with no data loss. Or is it still... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: llrios
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Corrupt Member File

I have been fine adding/removing printers up until this week. Now when I go to add a new remote printer I get "corrupted member file". I go to /etc/lp/member and the byte count on the new printer name is 0. I VI the file and put /dev/null in to make it the correct size and it all looks fine and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astout
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to corrupt a superblock?

I need to corrupt a superblock of a mounted device in a soalris m/c and check recovery from an alternate superblock. How can this be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujathan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipped tar file is corrupt

Hello, I am currently dumping 30-40 reports on a Unix folder located here /home/apps/reports/prode/excel I use K-shell to do this task. In that, I use the gzip command to compress these files. I want to be able to use a tar command to first load the entire directory into one file then gzip that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramodini Rode
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp to copy only non-corrupt files

I don't know if I am asking this correctly, but I have a hard drive with some bad sectors and it appears that some of the data is corrupt. I am having allot of trouble copying the data to a new drive. The issue is not in copying files, but that the new drive to which files are copied is not acting... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
17 Replies

10. High Performance Computing

Postgresql Database Corrupt

I am managing a linux cluster which has been build on Platform Cluster Manager PCM 1.2.1) from IBM Platform Computing. Unfortunately somebody deteled data files of postgresql from /var/lib directory. I somehow managed to start the postmaster service again, but all the administrative commands of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahsanpmd
2 Replies
cmdisklock(1m)															    cmdisklock(1m)

NAME
cmdisklock - manage Serviceguard cluster lock devices. SYNOPSIS
cmdisklock check path cmdisklock [-f] reset path DESCRIPTION
cmdisklock is a tool to check the current state of a Serviceguard cluster lock device. It can also be used to reset the state of the clus- ter lock device. The need to reset the cluster lock device state could arise if the cluster lock device is replaced or becomes corrupt. A cluster lock device can be either an HP-UX LVM cluster lock or a cluster lock LUN device. HP-UX LVM cluster locks exist only on a disk in an LVM volume group. Cluster lock LUNs exist only on disks dedicated to cluster lock. cmdisklock is useful for checking either type of cluster lock and for re-initializing cluster lock LUN devices after a failure or corruption. NOTE To restore an HP-UX LVM cluster lock, use vgcfgrestore. cmdisklock will fail until vgcfgrestore is run, and cmdisklock is unnecessary as long as vgcfgbackup was done after the cluster lock was initialized. See the Managing Serviceguard manual for details. The syntax of the path option depends on the type of lock. For HP-UX LVM cluster lock disks, the syntax is VG:PV (for example: /dev/vglock:/dev/dsk/c0t0d2). For cluster lock LUN disks, the path is the disk device path. For example, /dev/sdd1 (on Linux) or /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 (on HP-UX). Options cmdisklock supports the following options: check Check the current state of the cluster lock device and report the results. reset Reset (initialize) the state of the cluster lock device. This operation should only be performed on a cluster lock LUN device. For HP-UX LVM cluster lock, use vgcfgrestore as documented in the Managing Serviceguard manual. After performing a reset, a check can be used to verify that the lock is cleared. EXAMPLES
If the cluster lock LUN device becomes corrupted and the cluster is up, messages like the following will appear in syslog. Mar 15 12:20:41 usb cmdisklockd[17599]: WARNING: Cluster lock LUN /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is corrupt: bad label. Until this situation is cor- rected, a single failure could cause all nodes in the cluster to crash. Mar 15 12:20:41 usb cmdisklockd[17599]: After ensuring that all active nodes in the cluster have logged this message, run 'cmdisklock reset /dev/dsk/c0t1d2' to repair Mar 15 12:20:41 usb cmdisklockd[17599]: Cluster lock disk /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is inaccessible Once the above messages appear in syslog on all running nodes, the following command will re-initialize the cluster lock LUN: ucd:/> cmdisklock reset /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 WARNING: Cluster lock LUN /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is corrupt: bad label. Until this situation is corrected, a single failure could cause all nodes in the cluster to crash. After ensuring that all active nodes in the cluster have logged this message, run 'cmdisklock reset /dev/dsk/c0t1d2' to repair /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is inaccessible Resetting cluster lock device /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 Cluster lock reset completed /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is accessible cleared After the lock is restored, a message like the following appears in syslog: Mar 15 12:23:11 usb cmdisklockd[17599]: Cluster lock disk /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is accessible WARNINGS
CAUTION For cluster lock LUN, reset is a potentially destructive operation. While cmdisklock checks for known volume manager and file system use (overridden by -f), it does not validate that the device to be reset is actually used by any cluster. If -f is used on the wrong device file, loss of data may result. CAUTION Care should be taken when doing a reset when the cluster is active as there is a remote possibility that the cluster will partition right when this command is run and both nodes could end up thinking they have successfully acquired the lock. To avoid this situation, make sure cmcld has logged a message in syslog on all running nodes saying the device is inaccessble, before performing a reset. Note that it is safe to run cmdisklock when the cluster is down. RETURN VALUE
cmdisklock returns the following values: 0 Successful completion. 1 The disk is inaccessible or is not recognized as a cluster lock. AUTHOR
cmdisklock was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
cmapplyconf(1m), cmviewcl(1m), vgcfgbackup(1m), vgcfgrestore(1m) Requires Optional Serviceguard Software cmdisklock(1m)