Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newcomer
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Newcomer Post 302575301 by JHutson456 on Monday 21st of November 2011 08:56:42 AM
Old 11-21-2011
Probably the subject line.

Anyhow, Hello, I'm new here also, and new to the Linux world also. I've been using Linux for about a year for home use. I've used Kubuntu 11.04, Ubuntu 11.04, and Linux Mint 11. Mint 11 is what I'm currently using. Ubuntu is fairly easy to learn, Mint is based on Ubuntu and is even easier to learn. However, it IS a whole new world (to borrow from Disney lol) You can get the hang of it in a few days, but you'll be learning for a long time to come, if that makes sense.

What is your situation? Why are you making the switch?

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Newcomer, I'm new..

Okay, I'm new on the damn forum and I don't know how I'd concentrate more on it. I keep pointing my mouse onto multiplayer games and I want to know how I can direct my mind and my mouse on the Unix topics here at the Unix forum. Where should I start from? Tips forum? Newbie forum? Any sites to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yyz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for a Perl newcomer! Transposing data from columns to rows

I have to create a Perl script which will transpose the data output from my experiment, from columns to rows, in order for me to analyse the data. I am a complete Perl novice so any help would be greatly appreciated. The data as it stands looks like this: Subject Condition Fp1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sarah_W
12 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Explain applications files (newcomer)

I just upacked a bz2 file and got the following: Jebs-Mac-mini:OXED jeb$ tar xvjf 0xED.tar.bz2 x 0xED.app/ x 0xED.app/Contents/ x 0xED.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/ x 0xED.app/Contents/Info.plist x 0xED.app/Contents/MacOS/ I assume the "x" means the files and directories were unpacked. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_writer
3 Replies
WHAT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     WHAT-PATCH(1)

NAME
what-patch - detect which patch system a Debian package uses SYNOPSIS
what-patch [options] DESCRIPTION
what-patch examines the debian/rules file to determine which patch system the Debian package is using. what-patch should be run from the root directory of the Debian source package. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for what-patch: -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -v Enable verbose mode. This will include the listing of any files modified outside or the debian/ directory and report any additional details about the patch system if available. AUTHORS
what-patch was written by Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com>, Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>, and Daniel Hahler <ubuntu@thequod.de>, among others. This manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. SEE ALSO
The Ubuntu MOTU team has some documentation about patch systems at the Ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems cdbs-edit-patch(1), dbs-edit-patch(1), dpatch-edit-patch(1) DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WHAT-PATCH(1)