Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell type.. /bin/uvalid?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell type.. /bin/uvalid? Post 302575212 by dnam9917 on Monday 21st of November 2011 01:28:45 AM
Old 11-21-2011
shell type.. /bin/uvalid?

Hi,

I gave a command echo $SHELL --> To find out the shell I'm using, which gave me the below output
Code:
echo $SHELL
/bin/uvalid

what does it mean?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags when posting data and code samples, thank you.

Last edited by Franklin52; 11-21-2011 at 08:09 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How I can burn .bin type file ?!

Hi there recently I download a staroffic and it's come as one binary file "staroffice.bin" I just want to know how I can burn this type of files. thanks in advance Abdulkarim (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/sh shell question

HI, Nice to meet u... I am a newbie. I have met a problem in the work as following: SRCLOG="/Share/log/testlog/*" SRCLOG="/Share/log/systemlog/*" SRCLOG="/Share/log/log.conf" SRCLOG="/Share/log/message" How can I get the file or directory value from each element of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using #! /bin/sh in Shell scripts

Hi All, What does #! /bin/sh mean in a shell script? Is it mandatory to include in a shell script? I'm able to execute the shell script without it. Any help on this would be appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bourne shell] Asking stuff with #!bin/sh urgent!

1. Accept a “userid” as a command line argument 2. Produce the following output: User userid has a home directory of /path/directory the default shell for this user is /path/shell 3. At this level, it may be assumed that the “userid” is a unique string in the file that is being searched 4.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandios
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert perl-statement to /bin/sh shell

Hi, I'm doing a small shellscript which is going to take each line in a "queue file" and do stuff to them. I can do the script easily, but I'd like this one to be a bit prettier. Consider the following perl statement: ... foreach my $line (@filedata) { my ($a, $b, $c) = split(/\t/,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brightstorm
4 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

8. AIX

Redistribution bin required for AIX. j7r164redist.7.1.0.25.bin

Hi, I am planning to install a version of Informatica on my AIX box. It requires a specific java build in pap6470_27sr2-20141101_01(SR2). The current link for IBM 64-bit SDK for AIX®, JavaTM Technology Edition, Version 7 Release 1 has a more recent version in j7r164redist.7.1.0.75.bin. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetpraveens
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)