Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed failing for variable with special characters Post 302575119 by sasiharitha on Sunday 20th of November 2011 03:29:10 PM
Old 11-20-2011
Here is the actual code and data
As mentioned below, the variable value isn't getting parsed correctly and instead of $ its taking the variable name while doing sed. Can you please help on what might be wrong?

credentials.template
installationHome=INSTALLATION_HOME
password=DEPLOYMGR_ADMIN_PASSWORD

Input Values received in script:
DEPLOYMGR_ADMIN_PASSWORD=Mypm@123
INSTALLATION_HOME=/opt/software

Script
sed -e "s:INSTALLATION_HOME:$INSTALLATION_HOME:g" credentials.template credentials.txt
sed -i "s/DEPLOYMGR_ADMIN_PASSWORD/$DEPLOYMGR_ADMIN_PASSWORD/g" credentials.txt

Expected ouput in credentials.txt :
installationHome=/opt/software
password=Mypm@123

Actual output ( which is wrong):
installationHome=/opt/software
password=MypmDEPLOYMGR_ADMIN_PASSWORD123

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Manimpulation - special characters

Hello- I have a variables that contains a string like this usr/pass@SCHEMA I want to extract the usr/pass part and ignore the SCHEMA part, I tried to use this ${dbconn%%@} and apparently it will not work because @ is a special character. I tried \@ and still no go. Any idea how to solve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with special characters

Hi, I am reading a file (GC_JAR.log) which has entries like: 511725.629, 0.1122672 secs] 525268.975, 0.1240036 secs] 527181.835, 0.2068215 secs] 527914.287, 0.2884801 secs] 528457.134, 0.2548725 secs] I want to replace all the entries of "secs]" with just "secs" Thus, the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itzz.me
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters in a bash variable in sed

Hello, I am trying the following: echo __CHANGEME__ >> testfile VAR1="&&&" sed -i "s|__CHANGEME__|${VAR1}|" testfile cat testfile This results in testfile containing __CHANGEME____CHANGEME____CHANGEME__ Whereas I want it to result in &&& I understand that if VAR1="\&\&\&" then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnewbeee
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with many special characters

I started with this: counter1=1 cp file.txt file_${counter1}.tmp while read name1 do echo $name1 counter2=`expr $counter1 + 1` sed /'${name1}'/d file_${counter1}.txt > file_${counter2}.txt counter1=`expr $counter1 + 1` done < source.txtsource.txt contains the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakanino
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED with Special characters

Hello All Seeking the right one SED command. My attempt is: From orginal.txt by SED to target.txt sed -i "/('outbound-callerid/a\$ext->add($context, $exten, '', new ext_SipAddHeader('P-Preferred-Identity', '<sip:${CALLERID(nummer)}@carrier.com>'));" orginal.txtWhat am make wrong?:wall: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdbinder
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment Variable with Special characters

Hello all, I am facing with a problem of invoking an environment variable. If I use this command : /bin/ls -lt FILE_NM_?(20120515|20120516)??????_sas.sig | head -n1 | awk '{print $9}' It perfectly outputs the desired result. FILE_NM_20120516000000_sas.sig But if I do this:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with sed and substituting a string with special characters in variable

Hey guys, I know that title is a mouthful - I'll try to better explain my struggles a little better... What I'm trying to do is: 1. Query a db and output to a file, a list of column data. 2. Then, for each line in this file, repeat these values but wrap them with: ITEM{ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampsys
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special characters in SED

Need help in escaping special characters in sed command. Here is the the string which i am trying to find a replace with From :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID={//MESSAGE_ID} To :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID= X_EDELIVERY_MESSAGE_ID &amp; BATCH_ID= X_EDELIVERY_BATCH_ID Here is the sed command i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakishore
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing special characters from variable commands

Hi, I am fairly new to unix scripting and recently tasked with some reporting scripts. The reporting checks several batch jobs and this is quite iterative. Now I am trying to minimize script effort and maximize reusability as there are only slight nuances in the repetitive tasks. For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeniks
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk conditions failing (special characters?)

This is really frustrating because I can't figure it out. I'm running a health check script. One of the items I'm checking is the amount of memory on a server. I use the free command, which outputs something like this (excerpt) Mem: 100 100 100 100 Swap: 100 100 100 100 In my debugging... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustaDude
5 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)