Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Increasing Performance of Disc Arrays Post 302575007 by FireBIade on Saturday 19th of November 2011 03:26:49 PM
Old 11-19-2011
Sorry I should clarify, I plan to keep the hardware raid 5 but I wanted to know if it was feasible to put software raid 0 on top so both raid arrays are used simultaneously and protected by the hardware raid 5. The server in question is a file server so the CPU sits idle most of the time but just getting the best config for performance without sacrificing data integrity.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disc Copy

Is there a disk copy utiliy for unix systems eg: I need to make a duplicate copy of a netraT1 to a netraT1 Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy of HP-UX from MO disc

This is my newbi question. I have HP-UX on a MO drive, need to backup that MO in case of damaging the original. Therefor I need a copy on server and be able to put that copy onto a blank MO to recreate a working bootable disc. This what I did. First I tried to make a copy with dd dd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tops
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

New MO disc format under HP Unix

How to format new MO disc under HP Unix? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vlad3131
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disc Needs Maintenance

Hello All Here I am using Sun V880 server which have discsuit pack of 8 discs with 2 sub mirrors each. Everything was fine for the last 1 year. Now I am getting problem of taking backup of the server. After analysis what I got that each 2nd submirrors are in NEEDS MAINTENANCE status. What... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
5 Replies

5. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Announcing collectl - new performance linux performance monitor

About 4 years ago I wrote this tool inspired by Rob Urban's collect tool for DEC's Tru64 Unix. What makes this tool as different as collect was in its day is its ability to run at a low overhead and collect tons of stuff. I've expanded the general concept and even include data not available in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarkSeger
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

format disc

What is the best way to format the partition? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Ultra 10 - Copying Files From Disc After Booting Up With Recovery Disc?

Hello, I'm still learning unix and I have what is probably a simple question but I can't seem to find the question to. I have an Ultra 10 Sparc Server running solaris 8 and the drive may have crashed (I hope not). Currently, it appears some files in the /etc folder are missing. I have a backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ideffects
1 Replies

8. Web Development

PHP arrays in arrays

PHP question... I have an SQL query that's pulled back user IDs as a set of columns. Rather than IDs, I want to use their names. So I have an array of columns $col with values 1,7,3,12 etc and I've got an array $person with values "Fred", "Bert", "Tom" etc So what I want to do is display the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
3 Replies

9. Programming

question about int arrays and file pointer arrays

if i declare both but don't input any variables what values will the int array and file pointer array have on default, and if i want to reset any of the elements of both arrays to default, should i just set it to 0 or NULL or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies
LVS(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    LVS(8)

NAME
lvs - report information about logical volumes SYNOPSIS
lvs [-a|--all] [--aligned] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--ignorelockingfailure] [--nameprefixes] [--noheadings] [--nosuffix] [-o|--options [+]Field[,Field]] [-O|--sort [+|-]Key1[,[+|-]Key2[,...]]] [-P|--partial] [--rows] [--segments] [--separator Separator] [--unbuffered] [--units hHbBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] [--unquoted] [-v|--verbose] [--version] [VolumeGroupName [VolumeGroupName...]] DESCRIPTION
lvs produces formatted output about logical volumes. OPTIONS
See lvm(8) for common options. --all Include information in the output about internal Logical Volumes that are components of normally-accessible Logical Volumes, such as mirrors, but which are not independently accessible (e.g. not mountable). The names of such Logical Volumes are enclosed within square brackets in the output. For example, after creating a mirror using 'lvcreate -m1 --mirrorlog disk', this option will reveal three internal Logical Volumes, with suffixes mimage_0, mimage_1, and mlog. --aligned Use with --separator to align the output columns. --nameprefixes Add an "LVM2_" prefix plus the field name to the output. Useful with --noheadings to produce a list of field=value pairs that can be used to set environment variables (for example, in udev(7) rules). --noheadings Suppress the headings line that is normally the first line of output. Useful if grepping the output. --nosuffix Suppress the suffix on output sizes. Use with --units (except h and H) if processing the output. -o, --options Comma-separated ordered list of columns. Precede the list with '+' to append to the default selection of columns instead of replac- ing it. Use -o lv_all to select all logical volume columns, and -o seg_all to select all logical volume segment columns. Use -o help to view the full list of columns available. Column names include: lv_uuid, lv_name, lv_path, lv_attr, lv_major, lv_minor, lv_read_ahead, lv_kernel_major, lv_kernel_minor, lv_kernel_read_ahead, lv_size, seg_count, origin, origin_size, snap_percent, copy_percent, move_pv, convert_lv, lv_tags, mirror_log, thin_pool, modules, segtype, stripes, stripesize, regionsize, chunksize, seg_start, seg_start_pe, seg_size, seg_tags, seg_pe_ranges, devices. With --segments, any "seg_" prefixes are optional; otherwise any "lv_" prefixes are optional. Columns mentioned in vgs(8) can also be chosen. The lv_attr bits are: 1 Volume type: (m)irrored, (M)irrored without initial sync, (o)rigin, (O)rigin with merging snapshot, (r)aid, (R)aid without ini- tial sync, (s)napshot, merging (S)napshot, (p)vmove, (v)irtual, mirror or raid (i)mage, mirror or raid (I)mage out-of-sync, mir- ror (l)og device, under (c)onversion, thin (V)olume, (t)hin pool, (T)hin pool data, raid or thin pool m(e)tadata 2 Permissions: (w)riteable, (r)ead-only, (R)ead-only activation of non-read-only volume 3 Allocation policy: (c)ontiguous, c(l)ing, (n)ormal, (a)nywhere, (i)nherited This is capitalised if the volume is currently locked against allocation changes, for example during pvmove(8). 4 fixed (m)inor 5 State: (a)ctive, (s)uspended, (I)nvalid snapshot, invalid (S)uspended snapshot, snapshot (m)erge failed, suspended snapshot (M)erge failed, mapped (d)evice present without tables, mapped device present with (i)nactive table 6 device (o)pen 7 Target type: (m)irror, (r)aid, (s)napshot, (t)hin, (u)nknown, (v)irtual. This groups logical volumes related to the same kernel target together. So, for example, mirror images, mirror logs as well as mirrors themselves appear as (m) if they use the origi- nal device-mapper mirror kernel driver; whereas the raid equivalents using the md raid kernel driver all appear as (r). Snap- shots using the original device-mapper driver appear as (s); whereas snapshots of thin volumes using the new thin provisioning driver appear as (t). 8 Newly-allocated data blocks are overwritten with blocks of (z)eroes before use. --segments Use default columns that emphasize segment information. -O, --sort Comma-separated ordered list of columns to sort by. Replaces the default selection. Precede any column with - for a reverse sort on that column. --rows Output columns as rows. --separator Separator String to use to separate each column. Useful if grepping the output. --unbuffered Produce output immediately without sorting or aligning the columns properly. --units hHbBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE All sizes are output in these units: (h)uman-readable, (b)ytes, (s)ectors, (k)ilobytes, (m)egabytes, (g)igabytes, (t)erabytes, (p)etabytes, (e)xabytes. Capitalise to use multiples of 1000 (S.I.) instead of 1024. Can also specify custom units e.g. --units 3M --unquoted When used with --nameprefixes, output values in the field=value pairs are not quoted. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), lvdisplay(8), pvs(8), vgs(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) LVS(8)