Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users why the script is not terminating with proper results Post 302574912 by Corona688 on Friday 18th of November 2011 03:48:08 PM
Old 11-18-2011
Statements in [ ] need to be spaced and quoted properly.
The 'if' has to be on the same line. The 'then' has to be on the next line or immediately after a ;

case is important. Don't capitalize "exit".

There's no point adding a command after exit. It won't ever be executed.

Code:
if [ "$fname" = something ]
then

I'm pretty sure you don't need to nest your if-statements 9-deep like that, either. If you find something wrong, just exit instead of slapping on another 'if'.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

echo "your first name please"
read fname

echo "your last name Please"
read lname

if [ "$lname" != "toys" -o "$fname" != "Gun" ]
then
        echo "Wrong name.  Goodbye!"
        exit 1
fi

echo "User $lname, $fname accepted"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

terminating script with CTRL+D

Hi, I'm trying to make a script that reads the console input and terminates with CTRL+D. It's absolutely basic but I don't know how to "read" the CTRL+D. I've tried a bunch of things like EOT=^D while //with & without quotations do read input echo $input done while while ] ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanchopansa
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminating child script with terminating the parent script

Hi I was working on a shell script with randomly shows a page of text from a randomly selected topic .As soon as the page is displayed it callers a timer script which keeps on running indefinitely until the timer script is killed by the user. This is where I have the problem,if I press... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mervin2006
2 Replies

3. AIX

The shell script is not returning proper result

Can anybody pls look into this script and tell me where I went wrong. After running this script, it is showing like "Trying to overlay current working directory ABORT!!!" :-( ARGCNT=$# if then echo "Two parameters are needed for this shell " echo "Please try again with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clnsharma123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script unexpectedly terminating

I now that this isnt the greatest code around. Im a network guy by trade not a programer .. but needed something to compare config files ... Anyway ... intermittently, the program terminates. Ive been looking at the code for a week trying to figure it out and Im stumped. Can anyone provide... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting proper o/p from a procedure in a script

foll. is my code snippet. #!/bin/ksh retVal=`sqlplus -s user/passwd@oracle_sid <<EOF SET SERVEROUTPUT ON SIZE 100000 DECLARE STATUS_VALUE CHAR; BEGIN SELECT temp1 INTO STATUS_VALUE FROM sai; DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(STATUS_VALUE); END; / SET... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sainathdeg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to terminate ssh connection without terminating script

Hi all, I connect with SSH connection to remote machine in the script and ı want to logout at half of the script then continue to script. If ı write exit in the script it terminates script not SSH connection. How can i do that please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fozay
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i terminating expect script without terminating SSH connection.

Hi all , i know i ask a lot of question but these are really hard to solve and important question. I send two scripts: expect.sh: #!/usr/local/bin/expect spawn ssh root@172.30.64.163 expect "login:" send "root\n" expect "password:" send "root\n^M" interact and son.sh: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozay
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue invoking shell script using cron, even with proper file permission

I am using tcsh what could possibly be a problem, when using crontab to invoke a shell script. ? The script has the read, write and execute permission to all users. And the script works as expected while executing it in stand-alone mode. Is there a way to trace (like log) what error... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Proper Date Format in SH Script

There's a small SH script I'm trying to write where it will get the current month and find a log file that is based on the date. Example: Today is February, so the log file is going to be 201102.log (2011 + 02) An additional thing is that if today is the 1st of a month, it will also find the log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tcsh: how to prevent a foreach from terminating a script when the result is null?

Sorry if this has been answered. I did search both Google and this site and did find this post: unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/152992-how-ignore-errors-script.html However, it wasn't answered. I have the same question - how do you prevent a tcsh script from terminating when the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepstructure
4 Replies
PMLOADDERIVEDCONFIG(3)					     Library Functions Manual					    PMLOADDERIVEDCONFIG(3)

NAME
pmLoadDerivedConfig - load derived metric definitions from a file C SYNOPSIS
#include <pcp/pmapi.h> int pmLoadDerivedConfig(char *fname); cc ... -lpcp DESCRIPTION
Each line of the file fname is either a comment line (with a ``#'' in the first position of the line) or the declaration of a derived per- formance metric, specified as: * the name of the derived metric, using the same ``dot notation'' syntax that is used for PCP performance metrics, see PCPIntro(1) and pmns(5). * an equals sign (``='') * a valid expression for a derived metric, as described in pmRegisterDerived(3). White space is ignored in the lines. For each line containing a derived metric definition, pmRegisterDerived(3) is called to register the new derived metric. The result from pmLoadDerivedConfig will be the number of derived metrics loaded from fname else a value less than zero in the case of an error. EXAMPLE
# sample derived metric definitions bad_in_pkts = network.interface.in.errors + network.interface.in.drops # note the following would need to be on a single line ... disk.dev.read_pct = 100 * delta(disk.dev.read) / (delta(disk.dev.read) + delta(disk.dev.write)) SEE ALSO
PCPIntro(1), PMAPI(3) and pmRegisterDerived(3). Performance Co-Pilot PMLOADDERIVEDCONFIG(3)