Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Multi session dvd using cdrecord Post 302574624 by jgt on Thursday 17th of November 2011 06:22:33 PM
Old 11-17-2011
Multi session dvd using cdrecord

I wrote the following script after reading a tutorial, but...
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh                                      
DATE=`date +"%y%m%d%H%M"`                           
echo $DATE                                          
FILENAME=`echo "obase = 16\n $DATE"|bc`             
echo $FILENAME                                      
cd /                                                
tar ctvf /home/$FILENAME.tar u >/dev/null           
cd /home                                            
gzip $FILENAME.tar                                  
mv $FILENAME.tar.gz $FILENAME.tgz                   
POSITION=`cdrecord -msinfo`                         
echo $POSITION                                      
mkisofs -o $FILENAME.iso -C $POSITION $FILENAME.tgz 
cdrecord -sao -multi $FILENAME.iso

but when I run
Code:
cdrecord -msinfo

afterwards, it always says 0,0
The media is DVD-RW
What I had hoped would happen is that the latest backup would be appended to the dvd.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CDRECORD & Multisession

I'm new to all this cdrecord and I'm struggling trying to create backups on a DVD-RW disk using a NEC DVD writer that supports PACKET & SAO modes. I've created two cd images by: mkisofs -r -J -l -L -o /file1.iso /mnt mkisofs -r -J -l -L -o /file2.iso /mnt Then burned the first image to the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ifleet2007
0 Replies

2. Programming

cdrecord frontend for dvd burning

I came across a small script called pyBurn (attached) which is a frontend for cdrecord. But it only burns cd's and doesn't even recognize my dvd-burner. I'm still learning python (very early stages) so I can't do much with it... is it possible to make it burn dvd's too? (I'm running Ubuntu Gutsy... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: el mariachi
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Cannot use multi session with OpenOffice 3 Solaris 10

Hi all, I wonder anyone ever have my problem like me. I install OpenOffice(OO) 3.0 on a Solaris 10 server( ./setup without option). ( ./setup -net it realease this Now my problem is I cannot open OO from 1 user with 2 sessions ( X Manager) Or i just can use 2 different user... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
4 Replies

4. Linux

How to make multi os installatin DVD

i want to make an install dvd with os's Wiun xp redhat Linux 5 i tried with MagicISO but after making always says redhat checksome error while checking created ISO file in VMWARE Workstation and Microsoft virtualpc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'

I am getting an error similar to this when I try to watch dvd's. Every program has a similar version of this. unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'For VLC I have found a way to fix it. CD/DVD Drive not working VLC error (SOLVED) (Page 1) - Help & Support (Stable) - CrunchBang Linux Forums... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

6. AIX

Using mkdvd to create bootable mksysb on dvd reports success but nothing on dvd?

Hello, Running AIX 7.1 7100-00-03-1115, trying to make a mksysb image to a dvd drive using mkdvd. My final command looks like this.. mkdvd -e -V rootvg -R -C /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_fs -I /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_images -M /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/mksysbimage -d /dev/cd0 -Y When i run this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)