Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .csv to Google Earth .kml
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users .csv to Google Earth .kml Post 302574600 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 17th of November 2011 04:59:06 PM
Old 11-17-2011
We had the same problem - generally GIS systems expect X,Y - longitude(X), latitude(Y)

Programmers seem to like Y,X when making those files. Geocachers and navigators in general love Lat-Long, too.

Some of our physical plant was under the Indian Ocean, I wonder if we ever got it back?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

earth in daylight

is there a command that displays a picture of the earth that is currently in daylight? thanks, bianca (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonbia
2 Replies

2. Web Development

Helpful Tip: Forcing Google to www.google.com

Helpful Tip! Sometimes when we are in another country, Google redirects our request for www.google.com to: www.google.co.in or to: www.google.co.th If you want to force Google to go to the US site, use: www.google.com/webhp (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Google Earth in Solaris

Hi Gurus of Unix, is posible to Install Google Earth in Solaris I download this packets : GoogleEarthLinux.bin I Change the permission chwmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin after that I do ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin andres@opensolaris:~/Downloads# sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin Verifying archive... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter a .kml file (xml) to remove unwanted entries

Ok, i have a .kml file that that i want to trim down and get rid of the rubbish from. its formatted like so: <Placemark> <name><!]></name> <description><!</b><br/>Frequency: <b>2437</b><br/>Timestamp: <b>1304892397000</b><br/>Date: <b>2011-05-08... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phear46
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter a .kml file (xml) with data set from text file

I have a .kml file. So I want filter the .kml to get only the tags that have this numeric codes that they are in a text file 11951 11952 74014 11964 11965 11969 11970 11971 11972 60149 74018 74023 86378 11976 11980 11983 11984 11987 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcoj33
5 Replies
LLSEARCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						       LLSEARCH(1)

NAME
llsearch - Search a GNIS file for place names within a given block of latitude/longitude SYNOPSIS
llsearch [-L] | [latitude_low longitude_low latitude_high longitude_high] DESCRIPTION
The U.S. Geological Survey supports sites on the Internet with Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) files. These files contain lists of place names, complete with their latitude/longitude and other information. There are separate files for each of the U.S. states, and each file contains many, many, many place names. If you want to use this data with drawmap, it is useful to reduce the data to only the items that you need. Llsearch lets you filter a GNIS file and winnow out only those place names that fall within the latitude/longitude boundaries that you specify. (You may want to specify boundaries that are a tiny bit larger than what you are interested in, so that numerical quantization doesn't eliminate locales that fall exactly on your boundaries.) Latitudes and longitudes are positive for north latitude and east longitude, and negative for south latitude and west longitude. Llsearch expects you to enter them in decimal degrees. (The latitudes and longitudes in the GNIS file are in degrees-minutes-seconds format, fol- lowed by 'N', 'S', 'E', or 'W'. However, there are two available file formats, and one of the formats also contains the latitudes/longi- tudes in decimal degrees.) Typical usage is as follows: gunzip -c california.gz | llsearch 33 -118 34 -117 > gnis_santa_ana_west If you enter the "-L" option, the program will print some license information and exit. Once you have reduced the data to some subset of interest, you can search for particular items via the grep or perl commands, or other search commands, or you can simply edit the results with your favorite text editor. Search commands are useful in reducing the sheer vol- ume of data to a more manageable size (by extracting, say, all mountain summits or all streams), but you will probably ultimately end up looking through the remaining data manually. The individual records contain codes, such as "ppl" for populated places, and "summit" for mountain tops, that can help you pick and choose. There is considerable redundancy in place names, and human intelligence is useful in sorting things out. While I was writing drawmap and llsearch, I frequently gazed out my office window, where I could spot at least two, and possibly three Baldy Mountains. There are also quite a few Beaver Creeks, Bear Canyons, Saddle Buttes, and Springfields out there. By taking a close look at the information associated with each place name, you can find the particular locations that interest you. SEE ALSO
drawmap(1) Jul 24, 2001 LLSEARCH(1)