Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The simplest network driver
Top Forums Programming The simplest network driver Post 302574557 by Chrisdot on Thursday 17th of November 2011 01:53:14 PM
Old 11-17-2011
Ok, as I said before expected result is to send one packet. Another thing is that I would like to learn linux networking details.

e1000e driver is quite complicated.
For example at the begining of driver life in kernel space it does only:
Code:
init_module {
pci_register_driver(&e1000_driver);
}

No more routines are done.
Well... maybe they are done, but I have no idea where to even look for them.

Last edited by fpmurphy; 11-18-2011 at 07:06 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Network device driver

HI, I am writing a network device driver for RTL8139c card on 2.6.18 kernel ... I am facing few queries listed below 1. Can i able to at all write a driver for RTL8139C or Realtek had designed new chip for 2.6 series kernel? 2. If no then which driver file 2.6.18 uses .. Is it 8139too.c or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niketan
1 Replies

2. Solaris

network driver cpu usage

Hello all, Needed a suggestion from you all, if you know anything about this stuff. We have a high network traffic application. Close to around 700Meg /sec on one NIC. When the traffic is around 200Meg on the NIC, the VCPU(not the CPU, cause we have 24 VCPU) utilization by the NIC driver... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naanu
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing Network on Computer, might be driver

Hi All, Just completing my second Solaris installation, in the previous one which was on a Dell X64 machine, I went through the Network configuration setting, on the current computer which I am installing Solaris on, its a custom built machine and for some reason, I didnt see the screen where I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: platforminc
1 Replies

4. Solaris

network driver not detecting in solaris 10 X86 on HPDL380G5 Server

I have installed solaris10 x86 on HP DL380 G5 Server, but network card is not getting detected. i have installed the network driver, downloaded from the following link HP ProLiant DL380 G5 Server series- Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center Can any one suggest me how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj.chinnu
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to know whether the network driver alredy installed in my system

I am using NVIDIA nforce: Networking controllers And Redhat enterprice linux ws version 4 32 bit: OS I want to connect my system to Broadband internet using linux. From where can I download the driver for nertwork. How to know whether the network driver alredy installed in my system. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rijas
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Can I Install the Gani Network Driver Using the Application that Came on the CD?

When I boot up the Solaris 10 5/09 install CD and select 'Solaris' from the GRUB menu that comes up, a menu loads. Option 5 is 'Apply Driver Updates'. Can I install the Gani driver using that? I tried using the tar file (the way it came) that I wrote to a floppy but when I asked it to look at the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simulated driver for Network Interface Adapter

Hi all, I got sort of a task to do. I have to write in C "simulated network driver". What does it mean? - It has to run on all network adapters - It has to be as simple as it can be - It has to run on all linux distributions (or at least most of them) - It does not have to run a network... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisdot
4 Replies

8. Programming

Compiling virtual network adapter driver problem (net_device struct)

Hi, I found on linuxgazette.net/93/bhaskaran.html page very useful sample of virtual driver (not connected to real hardware). I try to compile it with no effect. So: I got fresh Ubuntu 9.10 (kernel 2.6.31-14) My source is saved in networkAdapter.c file in /usr/src/myModules directory. I... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisdot
21 Replies
NDIS(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   NDIS(4)

NAME
ndis -- NDIS miniport driver wrapper SYNOPSIS
options NDISAPI device ndis device wlan DESCRIPTION
The ndis driver is a wrapper designed to allow binary Windows(R) NDIS miniport network drivers to be used with FreeBSD. The ndis driver is provided in source code form and must be combined with the Windows(R) driver supplied with your network adapter. The ndis driver uses the ndisapi kernel subsystem to relocate and link the Windows(R) binary so that it can be used in conjunction with native code. The ndisapi sub- system provides an interface between the NDIS API and the FreeBSD networking infrastructure. The Windows(R) driver is essentially fooled into thinking it is running on Windows(R). Note that this means the ndis driver is only useful on x86 machines. To build a functional driver, the user must have a copy of the driver distribution media for his or her card. From this distribution, the user must extract two files: the .SYS file containing the driver binary code, and its companion .INF file, which contains the definitions for driver-specific registry keys and other installation data such as device identifiers. These two files can be converted into a kernel module file using the ndisgen(8) utility. This file contains a binary image of the driver plus registry key data. When the ndis driver loads, it will create sysctl(3) nodes for each registry key extracted from the .INF file. The ndis driver is designed to support mainly Ethernet and wireless network devices with PCI, PCMCIA and USB bus attachments. (Cardbus devices are also supported as a subset of PCI.) It can support many different media types and speeds. One limitation however, is that there is no consistent way to learn if an Ethernet device is operating in full or half duplex mode. The NDIS API allows for a generic means for determining link state and speed, but not the duplex setting. There may be driver-specific registry keys to control the media setting which can be configured via the sysctl(8) command. DIAGNOSTICS
ndis%d: watchdog timeout A packet was queued for transmission and a transmit command was issued, however the device failed to acknowledge the transmission before a timeout expired. SEE ALSO
altq(4), arp(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), ifconfig(8), ndis_events(8), ndiscvt(8), ndisgen(8), wpa_supplicant(8) NDIS 5.1 specification, http://www.microsoft.com. HISTORY
The ndis device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 5.3. AUTHORS
The ndis driver was written by Bill Paul <wpaul@windriver.com>. BSD
March 14, 2010 BSD