Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: need help in forking
Top Forums Programming need help in forking Post 302574309 by rkrish on Thursday 17th of November 2011 05:09:41 AM
Old 11-17-2011
Question need help in forking

I have an input file with contents like:
5785690|68690|898809
7960789|89709|789789
7669900|87865|659708
7869098|65769|347658

so on..

I need to pass this file to 10 parallely running processes (forking)so that each line is processed by a process and no line is processed twice and write the output to a single output file with out ant collision between processes.
Can any one help me out in this:-(
SmilieSmilieSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Forking in a loop

When I compile this C programme I get different outputs each time I run it Please explain to me whats happening in the code if you can give me a detailed explanation. Because I am stuck with this. #include <stdio.h> main(){ int i = 0; printf("I am the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manjuWicky
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forking

When I compile this C programme I get different outputs each time I run it Please explain to me whats happening in the code if you can give me a detailed explanation with the schedular functionality it will help a lot. Because I am stuck with this. #include <stdio.h> main(){... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjuWicky
3 Replies

3. Programming

forking a new process

Hi I'm currently working with C on UNIX (HPUX) and need to be able to fork a seperate Java process from within a running C process. I can run the following code from the command line via a script but am having difficulty getting it to work from within the code. I am trying to use execl. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: themezzaman
4 Replies

4. Programming

forking process.

#include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int main() { pid_t pID; int i; for (i = 0; i < 3; i++) { pID = fork (); if (pID == 0) { printf ("Value of i --> %d... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymthasneem
2 Replies

5. Programming

forking within a thread

Is it safe to call fork+exec in a multithreaded application. Because In my multithreaded application, I need to execute another program in each thread. I am using solaris 10. Any suggestions pls. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking with Tclsh vs Wish

Hello, I am new to this site, so sorry ahead of time if this is not the right place for this question.......anywhooooo I am having troubles with forking new processes in wish. Take the following code example: **************************** package require Tclx puts "TCL VER: " proc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pghamami
3 Replies

7. Programming

Forking in Unix using C++

i wanna ask about forking in unix...how can you do forking...??i don't understand and i have an assignment about it...the output should look like this... Question 1 : what's your name ? Answer : if no answer, write to file...----Out of time-----because for each question it is given a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkk02
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with forking

Hi, my $log = IO::File->new(">$log_file_name"); $log->print("date()."--\n\n\n"); sub process { my ($sub_dir, $file, $config, $log) = @_; $log->print("-- Reading $file file\n"); } my $pm = new Parallel::ForkManager($tc+1); $pm->run_on_finish( sub { my ($pid, $exit_code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking and Pinging

Keep in mind that I haven't done Perl scripting for a LONG time, so I'm quite rusty. This is what I would like to do: - using fork, create 3 or 4 processes to read 3 or 4 different text documents containing server names or IP addresses - in each of those processes, Perl will ping each of those... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
7 Replies

10. Programming

Parent forking

My question is, how do you fork only the parent processes in unix? For example how would I use the fork function to fork the parent process more than once and leave the children processes alone. This way I do not have children of children. The way I have it set up now it the parent process forks 3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TWhitt24
7 Replies
AUTOLOG(8)						      System Manager's Manual							AUTOLOG(8)

NAME
autolog - Log out idle users SYNOPSIS
autolog [ options ] DESCRIPTION
The program reads the utmp file, entry by entry. The username for each 'user process' is compared to the entries in the configuration file (see autolog.conf(5) ). The first entry to match both the name, the group, and the tty line of the process will be used to conduct the automatic logout. CALL
/etc/init.d/autolog start or autolog to run this program in daemon-mode autolog -o to run this program as "ordinary" program. Keep in mind: Also when running as ordinary program, it will stay in memory until all its jobs are done. OPTIONS
-a (all processes) Print information on ALL utmp entries--not just user processes. -d (debug mode) This is helpful in setting up your configuration file. The program runs in foreground rather than forking and it prints out verbose messages about what it is doing. -n (nokill) Use this to prevent autolog from actually "killing" anyone. Use -d and -n together when setting up a new configuration file. ( This will not affect killing of lost processes. ) -o (ordinary) Use this to run this program as ordinary program, not as daemon. Program will end, when its job is done. In this case, some data is kept in "/var/lib/autolog/autolog.data". This is read, when the program is called again. -f config_file_name Use this to override the default: "/etc/autolog.conf" -l log_file_name Use this to override the default: "/var/log/autolog.log". Note that if this file doesn't exist, no logging will happen. Create the file (with touch) to enable logging. -t idle_time Use this to override the internal default idle time (minutes) -g grace_period Use this to override the internal default grace period (seconds) -m yes/no Use this to override the internal mailing switch. If "yes" the program will send mail to the users right after killing them. -c yes/no Use this to override the internal "pre-clear" switch. If "yes" the program will clear the terminal screen before warning the user. -w yes/no Do timeouts based on total session time--not idle time. (hard) -l yes/no If set to "yes" activities will be written to the logfile if present. AUTHOR
Kyle Bateman <kyle@actarg.com> (autolog 0.35), Carsten Juerges <juerges@cip-bau.uni-hannover.de> (autolog 0.40) This manual page was modified for Debian by Paul Telford <pxt@debian.org> Linux Administrative Utilities AUTOLOG(8)