Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AWK delete issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK delete issue Post 302574002 by jamie_123 on Wednesday 16th of November 2011 09:20:22 AM
Old 11-16-2011
AWK delete issue

Hi,

Does "delete array_name[x]" actually return back free memory to the system? I am having trouble when processing big files. If it doesnot return memory is there any other command to do so? Smilie

Thanks guys..!!

---------- Post updated at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:43 PM ----------

another interesting that I observed was when cing the memory footprint using top, awk seems to be using only .1% of the memory but the overall memory decreases in due course as my program runs. I have no other application running.

Any reason for this strange behavior??

---------- Post updated at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:20 PM ----------

another interesting that I observed was when cing the memory footprint using top, awk seems to be using only .1% of the memory but the overall memory decreases in due course as my program runs. I have no other application running.

Any reason for this strange behavior??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : delete ^M at the end of the line

Hi all, I'm newbi in scripting. could someone tell how to delete the ^M at the end of the linie with an awk command. many thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liliput
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete files using awk

The code below works for finding files created in 2005 that are compressed. How do I delete these files? Do I substitute rm -f for the print $0 ? here's the code that finds the 2005 compressed files (ls -lR | awk '$8 == "2005" && $9 ~ /Z$/ {print $0}') thanks for your help!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - delete last two letters

Hello! How do I remove the last two letters "GB" off each line, using awk? What I need to remove is the "GB" in following input: ..... 30GB 2504GB 3GB 40GB ...... The OS used is Solaris9 Regards, Fredrik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sap4ever
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete line with awk

Hi I have a multi -line file which is sorted by the 1-st colomn in the following format: 400 0000 0001 1000 1010 0111 0000 1000 0000 402 1101 0000 1100 1010 0111 1000 1000 0000 403 1001 0000 1100 1010 0111 0000 1000 0000 495 1000 0000 1100 1010 0111 0000 1000 0000 500 0000 0001 1000 0010... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete string using AWK

inputfile has 3 columns SCHEMA.TAB1 COL1 LENGTH SCHEMA.TAB2 COL2 LENGTH. If i use awk on the above inputfile awk '{print $1}' inputfile.The out put will be SCHEMA.TAB1 SCHEMA.TAB2. But from the above output i need to delete SCHEMA. i.e i don't want the string "SCHEMA." should... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete text between square brackets and also delete those square brackets using sed or awk

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I want to get rid of these square brackets and also the text that is inside these brackets. So that my final text file looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete certain column awk

Hi experts, I have a file, where inside this file contains multiple columns (up to 2000 columns): 0.05 0.54 2.02 0.21 1.39 2.92 0.31 1.75 3.34 I want to delete column 3,6,9,12,15,18,21... etc (any columns where can be divided from value 3), so that results is like: 0.05 0.54 0.21 1.39... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to delete a certain line

Ok I have a file that contains #num.txt 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 my script main.sh checks to see if the first two arguments exist in a seperate file and the third argument would be the value in the num.txt so when i execute $ main.sh name place 5 how would i go about deleteing the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value substitution issue with awk command issue

Hi All, I am using the below script which has awk command, but it is not returing the expected result. can some pls help me to correct the command. The below script sample.ksh should give the result if the value of last 4 digits in the variable NM matches with the variable value DAT. The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete big directory issue

Hello folks, I am deleting a directory with script it is taking 11Hour and also increase the IO on server. I am using below command, inside date directory there are hour directories, which i am deleting after archiving. Archiving is not taking long time, only "rm -rf" is taking alot of time with... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
21 Replies
IPC::SharedMem(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       IPC::SharedMem(3pm)

NAME
IPC::SharedMem - SysV Shared Memory IPC object class SYNOPSIS
use IPC::SysV qw(IPC_PRIVATE S_IRUSR S_IWUSR); use IPC::SharedMem; $shm = IPC::SharedMem->new(IPC_PRIVATE, 8, S_IRWXU); $shm->write(pack("S", 4711), 2, 2); $data = $shm->read(0, 2); $ds = $shm->stat; $shm->remove; DESCRIPTION
A class providing an object based interface to SysV IPC shared memory. METHODS
new ( KEY , SIZE , FLAGS ) Creates a new shared memory segment associated with "KEY". A new segment is created if o "KEY" is equal to "IPC_PRIVATE" o "KEY" does not already have a shared memory segment associated with it, and "FLAGS & IPC_CREAT" is true. On creation of a new shared memory segment "FLAGS" is used to set the permissions. Be careful not to set any flags that the Sys V IPC implementation does not allow: in some systems setting execute bits makes the operations fail. id Returns the shared memory identifier. read ( POS, SIZE ) Read "SIZE" bytes from the shared memory segment at "POS". Returns the string read, or "undef" if there was an error. The return value becomes tainted. See shmread. write ( STRING, POS, SIZE ) Write "SIZE" bytes to the shared memory segment at "POS". Returns true if successful, or false if there is an error. See shmwrite. remove Remove the shared memory segment from the system or mark it as removed as long as any processes are still attached to it. is_removed Returns true if the shared memory segment has been removed or marked for removal. stat Returns an object of type "IPC::SharedMem::stat" which is a sub-class of "Class::Struct". It provides the following fields. For a description of these fields see you system documentation. uid gid cuid cgid mode segsz lpid cpid nattach atime dtime ctime attach ( [FLAG] ) Permanently attach to the shared memory segment. When a "IPC::SharedMem" object is attached, it will use memread and memwrite instead of shmread and shmwrite for accessing the shared memory segment. Returns true if successful, or false on error. See shmat. detach Detach from the shared memory segment that previously has been attached to. Returns true if successful, or false on error. See shmdt. addr Returns the address of the shared memory that has been attached to in a format suitable for use with "pack('P')". Returns "undef" if the shared memory has not been attached. SEE ALSO
IPC::SysV, Class::Struct AUTHORS
Marcus Holland-Moritz <mhx@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Version 2.x, Copyright (C) 2007-2010, Marcus Holland-Moritz. Version 1.x, Copyright (c) 1997, Graham Barr. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 IPC::SharedMem(3pm)