Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting fieldwidths, printf and calculations with variables Post 302573736 by Corona688 on Tuesday 15th of November 2011 10:50:15 AM
Old 11-15-2011
You're supposed to use [code] tags. Formatting works fine inside them.

---------- Post updated at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:47 AM ----------

Try %8s instead of %s for fields you want padded with spaces up to eight characters.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printf for user defined variables

I am working on a SunFire 480 - uname -a gives: SunOS bsmdb02 5.9 Generic_112233-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R I am tyring to sum up the total size of all the directories for each running database using awk: #!/usr/bin/ksh for Database in `ps -efl | grep "ora_pmon" | grep -v grep |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jabberwocky
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How printf handles empty variables

See attached file that includes code, input and output. I am processing a colon delimited input file and building a ":" (colon) delimited output file. My printf statement prints contents of each of 20 variables and puts them into a record file. I am pushing out approximately 120 records. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh, calculations using bc

hi all, was wondering if there is another way to do calculations in ksh scripts other than using bc ?? i am using a script to calculate average response time and my script errors out after running for a bit. e.g code i am using : averageTime=$(print "$totalTime / $numberOfEntries" |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using AWK printf with userdefine variables

seems simple but i've not been successfull in adding the value of a Variable to a every line of a file using AWK & printf i've come up with the following, but it's not working.:mad: --- mydatafile.dat e.g. of data in file: cau_actvty_fa_lrf.ksh fan_soco_fa.ksh ny_sum_lst.ksh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk{FIELDWIDTHS} replacing blanks with null

Hi, I am having a file and grabbed the contents of the field according to field widths. The command i used is: awk 'BEGIN{FIELDWIDTHS="10 25 20 14 6 10"}{print$4,$5,$6}' newtext.text >test1.txt i got the output for example: val1 val2 val3 <blank> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rish_max
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculations in bash

HI i have following problem, i need to use split command to split files each should be cca 700 lines but i dont know how to inplement it in the scripts becasuse each time the origin file will be various size , any body got any idea cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with doing calculations on data

Dear All, I have a long list like this: 337 375 364 389 443 578 1001 20100 . . . . etc I would like to substract each value from the first entry which in this case is 337 and report it in a separate column. So the expected output looks like 337 0 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

assinging the printf result to variables

Getting the below error while executing this. Able to run the below commands Individually. #!/bin/bash a=$(printf "%d\n" 0x01E); b=$(printf "%d\n" 0x01A); echo $a echo $b c=`expr $a - $b` echo $c syntax error at line 2: `a=$' unexpected (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_1712
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIELDWIDTHS problem

Hello; i have a file contains records such as below, i want to AWK read pre-defined fixed column width and print desired output. so i wrote this command: input: Event 9477887 Western Iran Date Time Err RMS Latitude Longitude Smaj Smin Az Depth Err Ndef Nsta Gap mdist ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saeed.soltani
4 Replies

10. Programming

Passing printf formatting parameters as variables

Hi, I haven't programed in C in a few years. I have been doing a lot of shell scripting, I.E. not really programming anything heavy. :o That said, I have a script that gives hourly usage statistics for our email server. It runs w-a-y to slow as a script for my impatience, and needs to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
7 Replies
GIT-SH-I18N(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-SH-I18N(1)

NAME
git-sh-i18n - Git's i18n setup code for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-i18n" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The 'git sh-i18n scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by Git's porcelain programs implemented in shell script. It provides wrappers for the GNU gettext and eval_gettext functions accessible through the gettext.sh script, and provides pass-through fallbacks on systems without GNU gettext. FUNCTIONS
gettext Currently a dummy fall-through function implemented as a wrapper around printf(1). Will be replaced by a real gettext implementation in a later version. eval_gettext Currently a dummy fall-through function implemented as a wrapper around printf(1) with variables expanded by the git-sh- i18n--envsubst(1) helper. Will be replaced by a real gettext implementation in a later version. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-SH-I18N(1)