Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl doubt
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl doubt Post 302573721 by durden_tyler on Tuesday 15th of November 2011 10:25:24 AM
Old 11-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalibrahim
What the regular expression "?:" does?
Also, whether the expression "\1" is same same as in sed (i.e) printing the elements inside pair of parentheses?
"(?: )" is the non-capturing (or grouping-only) parenthesis. It groups regex components, but does not capture them. And so, the regex components are not stored in variables $1, $2, $3, ... etc.

"\1" is the back-reference, or reference to an earlier parenthesized expression. Yes, its role in Perl is the same as in sed, but with certain limitations.

tyler_durden

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl doubt plz explain....

hi all i wrote a shell script which uses perl script my code is : >cat filename | while read i >do >perl -e 'require "/home/scripts/abc.pl" ; abc("$i")' >done perl script used will simply check syntax of Cobol programs but it didn't work for me so i asked my colleague he suggested... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script doubt?

Dear friends, I have two files. In first file first column ($1), i have numbers. The second file containes, the same number in the fourth column($4). I need a output file, matching the first file column 1 with second file column 4. The main thing is the output file lines will be sorted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl map doubt

Hello , Please can someone tell me what exactly happens when the below filehandler is chomped into an array and later mapped. $lcpLog="logcopy\@".getTimestamp."\log"; open CFg ,"< $lcpcfg"; chomp(@cfg = <CFG>); close CFG; @cfg=grep { $_ ne ' ' } map { lc + (split /\s*\/\//) }... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmv
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in Perl Variable declaration

Anyone please say what is the difference between $var and ${var} in perl Sometimes $var used and sometimes ${var} used in same program. Thanks in Advance, Prabhu ---------- Post updated at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:59 AM ---------- Any one please clarify (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prsampath
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

doubt in df -h

in my parition i hav parition like this Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda2 24G 22G 756M 97% / /dev/sda5 248G 1.2G 234G 1% /else /dev/sda1 965M 24M 892M 3% /boot tmpfs 7.0G 0 7.0G 0%... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trivial perl doubt about FILE

Hi, In the following perl code: #!/usr/bin/perl -w if (open(FILE, "< in_file")) { while (<FILE>) { chomp($_); if ($_ =~ /patt$/) { my $f = (split(" ", $_)); print "$f\n"; } } close FILE; } Why changing the "FILE" as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt..

Hi experts, In one of our code we have used some command like this. name=${name##*/} Can someone please let me know what exactly it does? Thanks & Regards, Sathya V. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
1 Replies

8. Programming

PERL: In a perl-scripttTrying to execute another perl-script that SETS SOME VARIABLES !

I have reviewed many examples on-line about running another process (either PERL or shell command or a program), but do not find any usefull for my needs way. (Reviewed and not useful the system(), 'back ticks', exec() and open()) I would like to run another PERL-script from first one, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies
HTML::FormatText(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       HTML::FormatText(3)

NAME
HTML::FormatText - Format HTML as plaintext SYNOPSIS
require HTML::TreeBuilder; $tree = HTML::TreeBuilder->new->parse_file("test.html"); require HTML::FormatText; $formatter = HTML::FormatText->new(leftmargin => 0, rightmargin => 50); print $formatter->format($tree); DESCRIPTION
The HTML::FormatText is a formatter that outputs plain latin1 text. All character attributes (bold/italic/underline) are ignored. Formatting of HTML tables and forms is not implemented. You might specify the following parameters when constructing the formatter: leftmargin (alias lm) The column of the left margin. The default is 3. rightmargin (alias rm) The column of the right margin. The default is 72. SEE ALSO
HTML::Formatter COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995-2002 Gisle Aas, and 2002- Sean M. Burke. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. AUTHOR
Current maintainer: Sean M. Burke <sburke@cpan.org> Original author: Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> perl v5.12.1 2004-06-02 HTML::FormatText(3)