Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Help with zipping contents but not path Post 302573312 by ctsgnb on Monday 14th of November 2011 05:35:26 AM
Old 11-14-2011
If there are 200 directories inside your directory "a", all of them will be included in the archive generated by the command previously given (assuming your user is granted to see them).

Why such a restriction regarding "zip" format ? by the way, as previously specified (extract from man page), gzip works with the same compression algorithm, so you should be able to rename the file in *.zip if you wish (i haven't tried it but i suppose it should work), but you would then have to deal with the tar format.

There are some free program like 7zip that works for windows as well and are able to manage such files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping

Hi In unix i want to zip the files in a directory excluding *.dmp, *.log, *.lst, *.out files in that directory. pls let me know what command to use. $zip ........ ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help me While zipping the file

Hi , I have written code which will ask the subject,body of the mail, attachment and mail id of the receipient. Code will pick up 4 files zip it. It will zip all the files and then post the mail to the receipient. While zipping the file i am getting error. Can anyone help me with this. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jolly
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

zipping files

Hi, Is there any difference if files are individually zipped and archived in a directory or if files are moved into archiving directory and zipping that directory. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathich
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with zipping files

Hi, I have come across a requirement in which I need to zip files. This is fine but the requriement has one conditions like below: One .z file can not have more than 10,000 files Now in the directory I have several files liek below: aaa_file_10_00001.txt aaa_file_10_00002.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If contents of A are in B then move the common contents to C

Hallo Team, I have 2 .csv files file A has 47600 lines and file B has 67000 lines FILEA SD0o9rb01-1d320ddbcc8d220f572739ebed5f58d1-v300g00 SD8bt0101-a0810bfe0e3396060126ec51b30dac0a-v300g00 SD05sce01-cb056af347ed4651f29eb3c3e9addbd6-v300g00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zipping contents without the actual directory

Hi , I want to zip files present in the directories listed under a parent directory without zipping the directory itself my parent directory path is /informatica/DGDMN/PowerCenter1011/server/infa_shared/SrcFiles/OTE/Final_Directory I have the below directories named as 1,2,3,4,5 listed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul1234
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print contents of file when the file path is in a variable?

The file f1 contains the text "body" (shell prompt is "$"): $ cat ~/path/f1 body How to print contents of f1 when the f1 path is in a variable? Here is my failed attempt: $ f1="~/path/f1" $ echo $f1 ~/path/f1 $ cat $f1 cat: '~/path/f1': No such file or directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Zipping

Good Morning, I'd like to archive an old user's files in the home directory on Solaris 9 Will this work? cd home tar -zcvf jsmitharchive.tar.gz jsmith/ ---------- Post updated at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:33 AM ---------- Also- is the last /necessary (after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
4 Replies
GIT-ARCHIVE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-ARCHIVE(1)

NAME
git-archive - Create an archive of files from a named tree SYNOPSIS
git archive [--format=<fmt>] [--list] [--prefix=<prefix>/] [<extra>] [-o | --output=<file>] [--worktree-attributes] [--remote=<repo> [--exec=<git-upload-archive>]] <tree-ish> [path...] DESCRIPTION
Creates an archive of the specified format containing the tree structure for the named tree, and writes it out to the standard output. If <prefix> is specified it is prepended to the filenames in the archive. git archive behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as the modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header if the tar format is used; it can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. In ZIP files it is stored as a file comment. OPTIONS
--format=<fmt> Format of the resulting archive: tar or zip. If this option is not given, and the output file is specified, the format is inferred from the filename if possible (e.g. writing to "foo.zip" makes the output to be in the zip format). Otherwise the output format is tar. -l, --list Show all available formats. -v, --verbose Report progress to stderr. --prefix=<prefix>/ Prepend <prefix>/ to each filename in the archive. -o <file>, --output=<file> Write the archive to <file> instead of stdout. --worktree-attributes Look for attributes in .gitattributes in working directory too. <extra> This can be any options that the archiver backend understands. See next section. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from the local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. --exec=<git-upload-archive> Used with --remote to specify the path to the git-upload-archive on the remote side. <tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce an archive for. path Without an optional path parameter, all files and subdirectories of the current working directory are included in the archive. If one or more paths are specified, only these are included. BACKEND EXTRA OPTIONS
zip -0 Store the files instead of deflating them. -9 Highest and slowest compression level. You can specify any number from 1 to 9 to adjust compression speed and ratio. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. ATTRIBUTES
export-ignore Files and directories with the attribute export-ignore won't be added to archive files. See gitattributes(5) for details. export-subst If the attribute export-subst is set for a file then git will expand several placeholders when adding this file to an archive. See gitattributes(5) for details. Note that attributes are by default taken from the .gitattributes files in the tree that is being archived. If you want to tweak the way the output is generated after the fact (e.g. you committed without adding an appropriate export-ignore in its .gitattributes), adjust the checked out .gitattributes file as necessary and use --work-tree-attributes option. Alternatively you can keep necessary attributes that should apply while archiving any tree in your $GIT_DIR/info/attributes file. EXAMPLES
git archive --format=tar --prefix=junk/ HEAD | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extract it in the /var/tmp/junk directory. git archive --format=tar --prefix=git-1.4.0/ v1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a compressed tarball for v1.4.0 release. git archive --format=tar --prefix=git-1.4.0/ v1.4.0^{tree} | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a compressed tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git archive --format=zip --prefix=git-docs/ HEAD:Documentation/ > git-1.4.0-docs.zip Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.zip, with the prefix git-docs/. git archive -o latest.zip HEAD Create a Zip archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch. Note that the output format is inferred by the extension of the output file. SEE ALSO
gitattributes(5) AUTHOR
Written by Franck Bui-Huu and Rene Scharfe. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[1]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-ARCHIVE(1)