Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming fork(), parent and child processes??? Post 302573016 by Corona688 on Saturday 12th of November 2011 11:15:58 AM
Old 11-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabam
How can the single variable
Code:
pid

contain two values at the same time?
The address of, say, 0xbfffffffff can hold its own, separate value in each and every individual process. That's really the point of having processes -- each one gets its own flat memory space, as if it was the only thing running on the computer, but it's actually quite secure and controlled.

This virtual memory space works by dividing real memory into 4096-byte chunks, and keeping a big table of which process gets what real memory at what virtual address. This table is checked in hardware by the processor itself, and configured by the kernel. If a process tries to access a memory location where no real pages have been assigned to it, you get the familiar error "segmentation fault".

What fork() does is it makes an exact copy of the process at the time of the fork(), but gives it its own independent memory space, then twiddles the value of 'pid' so it's different in the child. It uses some tricks like copy-on-write to avoid duplicating too much memory, but that's mostly safe to ignore.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what are parent and child processes all about?

I don't follow what these are... this is what my text says... "When a process is started, a duplicate of that process is created. This new process is called the child and the process that created it is called the parent. The child process then replaces the copy for the code the parent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parent/Child Processes

Hello. I have a global function name func1() that I am sourcing in from script A. I call the function from script B. Is there a way to find out which script called func1() dynamically so that the func1() can report it in the event there are errors? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
2 Replies

3. Programming

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n", getpid(),... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_dot
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green_dot
1 Replies

5. Programming

Problems with child comunicating with parent on fork()

Hello, I'm trying to implement a version of a bucketSort (kinda) server/client, but I'm having a VERY hard time on making the server behave correctly, when talking to the children, after it forks. The server is kinda big (300+ lines), so I won't post it here, but here's what I'm doing. 1)create a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zarnick
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find all the child processes of a parent process

Hi I am trying to see if there are some options in ps command or if there is a shell script which basically shows you all the processes spawned by a parent process , then all the processes of its child processes and so on down the hierarchy may be like a tree structure. It might be a generic... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: clifford
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill child processes, when parent is "bash"

Consider this simple command line bash -c 'echo $$ ; sleep 10000'This will print the newly created bash PID and sleep for a long time. If I go to another terminal and do something like ps -flax | grep leepI'll see something like 501 92418 91910 0 0:00.00 ttys000 0:00.00 bash -c echo $$... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teras
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a pipe using parent and child processes

Hello, I am trying to create a pipe that will direct stdout to in side of the pipe, and stdin to the out side of the pipe - I created two child processes to handle this. However, my pipe doesn't seem to be working correctly. Did I use execv() correctly? Command1 and command2 represent the two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jre247
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill Parent/ Child processes

I am trying to kill PIDs that are tied to a KSH "load_sqlplus" and I am using the below code LIST_PID=`ps -ef | grep -i "load_sqlplus" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` if ; then echo "Processes killed" "PID : " $LIST_PID kill -9 $LIST_PID else echo "Nothing to Kill" fi... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky338
4 Replies
mem(7D) 							      Devices								   mem(7D)

NAME
mem, kmem, allkmem - physical or virtual memory access SYNOPSIS
/dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/allkmem DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/mem is a special file that provides access to the physical memory of the computer. The file /dev/kmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. The file /dev/allkmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. You can use any of these devices to examine and modify the system. Byte addresses in /dev/mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses. Byte addresses in /dev/kmem and /dev/allkmem are interpreted as kernel virtual memory addresses. A reference to a non-existent location returns an error. See ERRORS for more information. The file /dev/mem accesses physical memory; the size of the file is equal to the amount of physical memory in the computer. This size may be larger than 4GB on a system running the 32-bit operating environment. In this case, you can access memory beyond 4GB using a series of read(2) and write(2) calls, a pread64() or pwrite64() call, or a combination of llseek(2) and read(2) or write(2). ERRORS
EFAULT Occurs when trying to write(2) a read-only location (allkmem), read(2) a write-only location (allkmem), or read(2) or write(2) a non-existent or unimplemented location (mem, kmem, allkmem). EIO Occurs when trying to read(2) or write(2) a memory location that is associated with an I/O device using the /dev/kmem spe- cial file. ENXIO Results from attempting to mmap(2) a non-existent physical (mem) or virtual (kmem, allkmem) memory address. FILES
/dev/mem Provides access to the computer's physical memory. /dev/kmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. /dev/allkmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. SEE ALSO
llseek(2), mmap(2), read(2), write(2) WARNINGS
Using these devices to modify (that is, write to) the address space of a live running operating system or to modify the state of a hardware device is extremely dangerous and may result in a system panic if kernel data structures are damaged or if device state is changed. SunOS 5.10 18 Feb 2002 mem(7D)