Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Gen random char then sed replacements Post 302572655 by holyearth on Thursday 10th of November 2011 01:29:16 PM
Old 11-10-2011
Thanks Agama!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed escape char

Hi, For the following complex code , <!-- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - delete until char x

Hi, I got a Textfile contains hundreds of lines like this: 3 02 8293820 0 22 22 All I need is this: 293820 0 22 22 So i decided to delete until the first '8' comes up. But how I can realize that? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcW
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed to replace second number in a random string

I need a sed line that will take STDM111 and change it to STDM161 the STDM will always be constant but the 3 numbers after will be random, I just need it to always replace the middle number with 6 regardless of what the numbers are. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed and random

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Some time ago I did a script to convert .csv files to oracle inserts. Now I need to add something and I can't make it work. This is the code: #!/bin/bash #Rev. 2 paso_uno() { local tmp=`mktemp temp.uno` cat $1 > $2 cat $2 > $tmp mv $tmp $2 }... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tr0cken
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special char's with sed

Hi, I've a txt file which contains the following kind of listed data 18971 ./aosrp18.r 15340 ./aosrp12.r 22996 ./aosrp08.r 17125 ./aosrp06.r I'm trying to get rid of the ./ in the file and have tried the following with sed but I'm not getting the correct result... I'm not sure what way... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to replace a random number?

Hi all, I need to run a number of scripts which have a certain phrase on them so I have identified these by; grep -l 100 *script | sort -u Normally I could just run something along the lines of; for i in `grep -l 100 *script | sort -u`; do ./${i}; done However before I run each of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use sed to do multiple replacements all at once?

I have a text file where I want to use sed to do multiple replacements all at once (i.e. with a single command) . I want to convert all AA's to 0, all AG's to 1 and all GG's to 2. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get count of replacements done by sed?

Hi , How can i get count of replacements done by sed in a file. I know grep -c is a method. But say if sed had made 10 replacement in a file, can i get number 10 some how? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhitanshu
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective Replacements: Using sed or awk to replace letters with numbers in a very specific way

Hello all. I am a beginner UNIX user who is using UNIX to work on a bioinformatics project for my university. I have a bit of a complicated issue in trying to use sed (or awk) to "find and replace" bases (letters) in a genetics data spreadsheet (converted to a text file, can be either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mince
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed returns error "sed: -e expression #1, char 18: unterminated `s' command"

Hello All, I have something like below LDC100/rel/prod/libinactrl.a LAA2000/rel/prod/libinactrl.a I want to remove till first forward slash that is outputshould be as below rel/prod/libinactrl.a rel/prod/libinactrl.a How can I do that ??? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
8 Replies
rand(3C)																  rand(3C)

NAME
rand(), rand_r(), srand() - simple random-number generator SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
uses a multiplicative, congruential, random-number generator with period 2^32 that returns successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to 2^15-1. can be called at any time to reset the random-number generator to a random starting point. The generator is initially seeded with a value of 1. returns a random number at the address pointed to by the randval parameter. The seed parameter can be set at any time to start the random- number generator at an arbitrary point. Note The spectral properties of leave a great deal to be desired. provides a much better, though more elaborate, random-number generator (see drand48(3C)). RETURN VALUE
If seed or randval is NULL, returns 0. Otherwise, returns a psuedo-random integer. EXAMPLES
The following: int x, y; srand(10); x = rand(); y = rand(); would produce the same results as: int x, y, s = 10; x=rand_r(&s); y=rand_r(&s); WARNINGS
Users of should note that rand_r() now conforms with POSIX.1c. The old prototype of is supported for compatibility with existing DCE applications only. SEE ALSO
drand48(3C), random(3M), thread_safety(5), random(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
rand(3C)