Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Gen random char then sed replacements Post 302572655 by holyearth on Thursday 10th of November 2011 01:29:16 PM
Old 11-10-2011
Thanks Agama!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed escape char

Hi, For the following complex code , <!-- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - delete until char x

Hi, I got a Textfile contains hundreds of lines like this: 3 02 8293820 0 22 22 All I need is this: 293820 0 22 22 So i decided to delete until the first '8' comes up. But how I can realize that? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcW
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed to replace second number in a random string

I need a sed line that will take STDM111 and change it to STDM161 the STDM will always be constant but the 3 numbers after will be random, I just need it to always replace the middle number with 6 regardless of what the numbers are. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed and random

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Some time ago I did a script to convert .csv files to oracle inserts. Now I need to add something and I can't make it work. This is the code: #!/bin/bash #Rev. 2 paso_uno() { local tmp=`mktemp temp.uno` cat $1 > $2 cat $2 > $tmp mv $tmp $2 }... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tr0cken
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special char's with sed

Hi, I've a txt file which contains the following kind of listed data 18971 ./aosrp18.r 15340 ./aosrp12.r 22996 ./aosrp08.r 17125 ./aosrp06.r I'm trying to get rid of the ./ in the file and have tried the following with sed but I'm not getting the correct result... I'm not sure what way... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to replace a random number?

Hi all, I need to run a number of scripts which have a certain phrase on them so I have identified these by; grep -l 100 *script | sort -u Normally I could just run something along the lines of; for i in `grep -l 100 *script | sort -u`; do ./${i}; done However before I run each of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use sed to do multiple replacements all at once?

I have a text file where I want to use sed to do multiple replacements all at once (i.e. with a single command) . I want to convert all AA's to 0, all AG's to 1 and all GG's to 2. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get count of replacements done by sed?

Hi , How can i get count of replacements done by sed in a file. I know grep -c is a method. But say if sed had made 10 replacement in a file, can i get number 10 some how? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhitanshu
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective Replacements: Using sed or awk to replace letters with numbers in a very specific way

Hello all. I am a beginner UNIX user who is using UNIX to work on a bioinformatics project for my university. I have a bit of a complicated issue in trying to use sed (or awk) to "find and replace" bases (letters) in a genetics data spreadsheet (converted to a text file, can be either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mince
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed returns error "sed: -e expression #1, char 18: unterminated `s' command"

Hello All, I have something like below LDC100/rel/prod/libinactrl.a LAA2000/rel/prod/libinactrl.a I want to remove till first forward slash that is outputshould be as below rel/prod/libinactrl.a rel/prod/libinactrl.a How can I do that ??? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
8 Replies
rand(3UCB)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Library Functions						rand(3UCB)

NAME
rand, srand - simple random number generator SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/cc [ flag ... ] file ... int rand(); int srand(seed) unsigned seed; DESCRIPTION
rand() uses a multiplicative congruential random number generator with period 2^32 to return successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to 2^31 -1. srand() can be called at any time to reset the random-number generator to a random starting point. The generator is initially seeded with a value of 1. SEE ALSO
cc(1B), drand48(3C), rand(3C), random(3C) NOTES
Use of these interfaces should be restricted to only applications written on BSD platforms. Use of these interfaces with any of the system libraries or in multi-thread applications is unsupported. The spectral properties of rand() leave a great deal to be desired. drand48(3C) and random(3C) provide much better, though more elaborate, random-number generators. The low bits of the numbers generated are not very random; use the middle bits. In particular the lowest bit alternates between 0 and 1. SunOS 5.11 30 Oct 2007 rand(3UCB)