Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] problem assigning value Post 302572625 by aksijain on Thursday 10th of November 2011 11:46:38 AM
Old 11-10-2011
That worked..I guess there was some problem with the syntax :$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in assigning values to variables

Hi, I have some problem in assigning values to variables: This is what Iam literally doing: i=0 input=test temp$i = $input In the sense, I try to assign the value in the variable input (ie., test) to another variable temp0 (since i is assigned 0, temp$i is temp0). Seems simple, but I get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanprabu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem assigning values to variable

Date of Request: 20080514 10:37 Submitted By: JPCHIANG i want to get the value "JPCHIANG" only in read a file, however, when i do this: name=`"$line"|cut -d " " -f8` it display all the line and append 'not found' at the end of the statement the $line is actually a variable in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with assigning output of grep + awk to a variable

Hi All, I am getting the output for the following command when i run it on the unix console. --------------------------- grep `whoami` /etc/passwd | awk '{print ($1);}' | cut -d ":" -f3 ---------------------------- But i made it into a script and tried to print the variable, its... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meheretoknow
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem assigning variables to arrays

Hi All, I have a problem assigning variables to script.I have a script in which i have a while loop now i have to assign some values obtained to an array which will be used later in the script.Can anyone help how to do that. At present my scrot looks like: co=0 pco=0 co=`cat /tmp/highcpu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem assigning a counter for particular pattern

Hi, I have a script that compares two files(which are updated dynamically by a daemon) and evaluate results from the comparision. For the first line of comparision from the file1, i will grep some part of the line in file with file1 and set a counter for that particular comparison. So for each... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddybs
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning substr to a variable inside awk

Hi All, I have a fixed-width datafile from which i need to extract value/string starting from some position to the specified length in each of the lines. awk '{print substr($0,x,y)}' datafile --- is working fine but awk 'BEGIN{a=0}{a=substr($0,x,y);print $a}' datafile ---is giving... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedin.ksh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning variable

suppose in my script i have written a1=2 a2=4 read option # I directly want to see the value of a1 or a2 (i:e; 1 or2 )depending upon i/p given like a1 or a2 to option var.so what should i give .Suppose if I give a1 to option then how can I see the value. echo $$option --- doesn't work pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maitree
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem assigning cmd output to variable then using in IF statement

Hi, I'm using the bourn shell on a Sun Solaris Unix system. I am relatively new to UNIX scripting so please bear with me... I'm having a couple issues: 1) I need to have a variable $FSIZE set with the output of a command each time the script runs. (the command looks for a file and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dqrgk0
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Assigning a value to a variable name then running a loop on these values

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could assist me for (what is probably) a very straightforward answer. I have input files containing something like File 1 Apples Apples Apples Apples File 2 Bananas Bananas Bananas Bananas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Assigning Shell variable

Hello, Need a small help to execute below script. #!/bin/bash . new.txt for no in 3 4 do echo $((uname_$no)) done new.txt contains uname_1="XXXXXX" uname_2="YYYYY" uname_3="ZZZZZ" ......... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna2166
6 Replies
sadc(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   sadc(8)

NAME
sadc -- system activity data collector SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sadc [-m mode] [t n] [ofile] DESCRIPTION
The sadc tool is used to collect cumulative system activity data. The sample system data is collected at intervals t seconds apart, in a loop n times. The binary sample data is written to ofile if specified. Otherwise, the binary data is written to stdout. If the ofile file does not exist, it is created, otherwise it is truncated. sadc is intended to be used as the engine behind the sar(1) command, and is not typically invoked on the command line. Two shell scripts, sa1 and sa2 are provided to drive the typical sampling, saving, and reporting process. OPTIONS
The following options modify the way data is collected by sadc. -m mode Modify the collection of system statistics as specified by mode. Currently only one mode is supported. PPP By default, the collection of ppp network interface statistics is turned off. This is because the number of ppp connec- tions can be very high, causing the raw data file to grow unexpectedly large, especially when samples are collected at short intervals. Use the PPP mode to turn the collection back on. EXAMPLES
/usr/lib/sa/sadc 15 20 /tmp/sample.out This call collects 20 samples at 15 second intervals. The binary data is written to the /tmp/sample.out file FILES
/var/log/sa/sadd Default daily activity file that holds the binary sampling data. dd are digits that represent the day of the month. /usr/lib/sa/sa1 Shell script used to drive the sar data collection. /usr/lib/sa/sa2 Shell script used to drive the sar data reporting. SEE ALSO
sa1(8), sa2(8), sar(1), iostat(8), vm_stat(1), netstat(1), top(1), sc_usage(1), fs_usage(1) Mac OS X Jul 25 2003 Mac OS X