Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Confusion about FOR LOOP syntax between Bourne and BASH shell. Please see. Post 302572594 by Corona688 on Thursday 10th of November 2011 10:40:38 AM
Old 11-10-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by navienavnav
If bourne shells doesn't have math then how am I able to execute statements like
Code:
 var=$(($1-1))

By using the expr external, like I said.

Code:
VAR=`expr $VAR - 1`

Quote:
And is it possible to find x to the power of y using expr function (or in any possible way in bourne shell except "for" loop) where x and y are two numbers read from the terminal?
Certainly, by running a loop which multiplies x against itself y times.

Is this homework?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if loop problem in bourne shell

how to use if-loop in bourne shell with multiple conditions like follows if then commands fi it gives me an error test: ] missing then i put if ] it gives me an error [[ not found kindly i need the syntex for the bourne shell (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with while loop in BASH shell

I have file named script1 as follows: #!/bin/bash count="0" echo "hello" echo "$count" while do echo "$count" count=`expr $count + 1` done ----------- when I run it, I get ./script1: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `done' ./script1: line 9: `done' I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on "for" loop in bourne shell

Hello Everyone.... I am trying to print a number sequence in following format using for loop. I am using a bourne shell. I tried following for loop condition but it is bash syntax. for (( i=0; i<=5; i++ )) It is giving syntax error. Kindly help with the syntax of "for"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell - Problem with while loop variable scope.

Hello I am having issues with a script I'm working on developing on a Solaris machine. The script is intended to find out how many times a particular user (by given userid) has logged into the local system for more than one hour today. Here is my while loop: last $user | grep -v 'sshd'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaveRich
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If Then ElseIf Script - Confusion Around Expression's Syntax

Hello, I am relatively new to UNIX scripting and am learning a lot. I have already tried several searches on this website and have tried various syntax options suggested to no avail. I am obviously not writing the script correctly. I really do appreciate any and all the help. Below is an... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dqrgk0
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash (Ubuntu server): Syntax error: "|" unexpected in While-loop

Hello forum, I hope my problem is easy to solve for someone in here! My main task is to copy a large amount of imap-accounts from one server to another. There is a tool (Perl) called imapsync which does the job exellent. Unfortunately I'm only able to run it on one account at a time. After... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: primaxx
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop in bash shell

Hi, I am using a for loop to manipulate files data_1.txt through data_100.txt. The for-loop is set up like this: for i in {1..100}; do cut -f1 data_$i.txt > output$i.txt I get the following error message when I run the code: cannot open `data.txt' for reading: No such file or directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell loop - Help !

Dear all Linux lover, I am a new learner to Bash Shell script and I would like to writing a script to to repeat my script. This mean I would like to have multiple same of result after running the .sh. ####### TIMES_NO=0 echo -n "Please enter the number for times to repeat ?" read... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rocky888
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop in bourne shell is not working

I have a loop with cases I am working on Bourne shell for file in *.${Today}*.csv *.${Today}*.txt\ do case ${file} in sun_detail) do something ;; sum) do something ;; mod) do something ;; *) do something ;; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
5 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)