Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pointer to pointers
Top Forums Programming Pointer to pointers Post 302572419 by DreamWarrior on Thursday 10th of November 2011 02:00:55 AM
Old 11-10-2011
The real problem is that when you say "*str = "hello there"" what you're telling the compiler is to set the value of the memory location pointed to by str to the address of the string "hello there" which resides inside the program's data segment. Because "hello there" is a static string in the program, it must exist in the data segment. Since it's not a heap address, it can not be reallocated via realloc, so it fails when you call realloc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Regarding Function and Pointers.

HI, Here is some thing that is puzzling me from a long time. Can some body explain me this with example. The question is :- What is the difference between function pointer and pointer to a function. Where do we actually use the function pointers and pointer to functions. Thanks in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

functiom pointers

Hi all i wonder about function pointers as i never used them in my C code . could any tell me why and where exactly function pointers come into picture . thanq (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raom
1 Replies

3. Programming

pointers

is this a valid c declaration int (*ptr(int *b)); plz explain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: areef4u
4 Replies

4. Programming

pointers

Hi I mash with pointers in C. I solve this problem about 5 hours and I don't know how I should continue. void InsertFirst (tList *L, int val) { tElemPtr new; if((new = malloc(sizeof(tElemPtr))) == NULL) Error(); new->data = val; new->ptr = L->frst; L->frst = new;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Milla
2 Replies

5. Programming

Pointer to a struct (with pointers) *** glibc detected *** double free

I am using a structure defined as follows struct gene_square { double *x; double *y; };I have class, with a member function which is a pointer of this type: gene_square* m_Genes;I am allocating memory in the constructors like this: m_Genes = new gene_square; for (ii=0;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jatoo
1 Replies

6. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shared pointers

I am new to shared pointer conceot in C++ and hence require some clarification: For example: class A { public: virtual ~A() { } int x; }; typedef boost::shared_ptr<A>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
1 Replies

8. Programming

Need help with the Pointers in C

I have a special character called ô. When it is declared as a character variable its showing it can be printed. But when it is declared as a character pointer variable its showing it cannot be printed. I am just wondering why its happening like this.. c1 = '@'; c2 = 'ô'; char *fp; fp="XXô"; if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
1 Replies

9. Programming

Problem With Pointers

Hi guys. What is the difference between these: 1. int *a; 2. int (*a); (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
2 Replies

10. Programming

Pointers and array

Hello, I read from a book exercise for a challenge. How to print out each letter of char array a by two different pointers pa and ppa in the example? I have tried my code for letter "r" by testing without full understanding as only the first one worked. #include<stdio.h> int main() { char... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
17 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)