Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Array in awk outputs multiple values Post 302572368 by alan on Wednesday 9th of November 2011 08:15:10 PM
Old 11-09-2011
Array in awk outputs multiple values

Disclaimer: OP is 100% Awk beginner.

I use this code on ASCII files I need to report against.

Code:
   awk 'BEGIN {
       tokens["Model"] = 0
       tokens["Manufacturer"] = 0
       tokens["Mfr Date"] = 0
  }  
{   for (token in tokens)
{ if ($1 == token){print $0; tokens[$1]++;}}}
END {for (token in tokens){
if( tokens[token] == 0){printf("%-13s = NA\n" , token)}}}' FILENAME

Most of my files output like this

Code:
Model = XYZ
Manufacturer = ABC
Mfr Date = 1/1/2008

When one or more array elements are missing, output like this for instance

Code:
Model = XYZ
Manufacturer = NA
Mfr Date = NA

I have problem with the "Model" key with occasionally outputs similar entries like so

Code:
Model = XYZ
Model Number = 123456
HW Model = AAABBBCCC
Manufacturer = NA
Mfr Date = NA

Is there a way in Awk to specify the token "Model" exclusively so that anything else is ignored? I tried "$Model^" as a key but to no avail.

TIA.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving values from awk expression into shell array

hi i am trying to save the values i extract from a file with the help of awk in a bash shell array. i have: exec 10<file2 while read LINE <&10; do ARRAY1=$(awk '{print $1}' file2) ((count++)) done echo ${ARRAY1} it prints just blank lines. file1 has two columns and i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving values in file in an array in awk

hi i am trying to save values in a file in an array in awk..the file is as follows: 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, so far i have this: awk 'BEGIN {RS="\n";FS=","} { for(i=1;i<=NR;i++) { for(j=1;j<=NF;j++) { a=$j; } } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

fetching values using awk and storing into array

hi all I am using awk utility to parse the file and fetching two different vaues from two different record of a record set. I am able to see the result, now i want to store the result and perform some check of each values form database to mark valid and invalid. could you please help me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: singhald
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with lookup values on AWK associative array

I'm at wits end with this issue and my troubleshooting leads me to believe it is a problem with the file formatting of the array referenced by my script: awk -F, '{if (NR==FNR) {a=$4","$3","$2}\ else {print a "," $0}}' WBTSassignments1.txt RNCalarms.tmp On the WBTSassignments1.txt file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasonHamm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store multiple outputs from an awk command?

x=`echo $line | awk -F "|" '{print $1;print NR}'` How will I get the 2 return values ($1 and NR) from awk to variables? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tene
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select multiple values from an Oracle database and assign it to two dimensional array

hi I have two tables in oracle DB and am using a joining query which will result in the output as follows. i need to assign it to a two dimensional array and use it for my further calculations. the way i tried is as follows. #!/bin/ksh export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping Unix Variable Array values into AWK

#ksh Here is my code: ERRORLIST="43032 12001 12002 12003 12004 34019 49015 49016 49017 49018 49024 49025 49026 58004 72003 12005 12006 12007 12008 12011 12012 16024 16023" for ERROR in ${ERRORLIST} do awk -v l="$lastdate" '/^....-..-../&&$0>l{d=$0}d&&/Error: '"${ERROR}"'/{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k1ko
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing multiple values in a array variable

Am using a find command in my script .The output may be one or more. I need to store those values in a array and need to access those. Am unable to find the solution . Any help on this will be helpful. if < code> else a=<find command output which gives the file name either 1 or more> if 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning array values using awk in shell scripting

hi My script as below #!/bin/ksh for i in `seq 1 7` do a=$(awk '{print $i}' /home/rama/expenese.txt) done for i in `seq 1 7` do echo "${a}" done content of expense.txt is as below 5032 210179 3110 132813874 53488966 11459221 5300794 I want output as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramakrishna V
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparing wc outputs using array

Hi All, Im trying to compare the wc -l output with another set of rowcount outputs which returned from sql... For Eg : Im storing the first outputs as below <srccnt=`wc -l $HOME/*.csv | awk {'print $1'}` and comparing this with the another set of outputs. descnt=`seclect count(*)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
7 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)