Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk,nawk Help please
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk,nawk Help please Post 302572344 by Scott on Wednesday 9th of November 2011 04:46:11 PM
Old 11-09-2011
Please edit your post to add code tags.

And, you agreed not to "bump" posts when you registered.

edit: No worries. I got it. Please read the PM you just got.
This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with Awk or nawk

Can anyone explain to me why the first line doesn't work and the second seems to work fine. I am trying to find all occurances of text within a certain column (col 13) that start with the character V, I suppose it sounds simple but I have tried using the following but don't really understand what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk -v to awk

hi, i have the command nawk -v i want to use it equivalent in awk? any help please :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use awk instead of nawk?

Hi all, I can run the following script using nawk..However, I find that teh server dun support nawk.. May I know how to change teh script to use awk such that it will work? Very urgent.. thx! nawk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS=","} NR==FNR{arr=$2;next} $0 !~ "Documentation"{print $0;next} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinmak
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access values of awk/nawk variables outside the awk/nawk block?

i'm new to shell scripting and have a problem please help me in the script i have a nawk block which has a variable count nawk{ . . . count=count+1 print count } now i want to access the value of the count variable outside the awk block,like.. s=`expr count / m` (m is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saniya
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing awk and nawk

Hi Guys, i tried these two commands. First in awk and nawk. The nawk command is running fine but the awk command is throwing error. What is wrong with the awk command. There are lot of awk commands running fine in my system d003:/usr/local/dsadm/dsprod>nawk 'NR = 1 {print " "$0}' a.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and nawk on Solaris

Why do they do two different things? Like on one version of UNIX you can use awk, but tehn if you move to Solaris then awk becomes something crap and you need to use nawk instead! whY!?!?!?! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me to know about awk and nawk

Hi everyone, i am new to unix , so i want to know what is the use of awk and nawk. because in most of the place this cmds were used. so, if anyone provied the basic idea of this cmds, it will be much helpfull for me . . .. Thnks in Advance :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or nawk in ksh

I am trying to use either awk or nawk in ksh88 to grep the word "Reason" in multiple files and than print the lines that say "Reason" in a particular format that is different from how they would normally print. The original input is as follows: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ther2000
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/Nawk Questions

Hi Guys, This is the Input: <xn:MeContext id="XXX012"> <xn:ManagedElement id="1"> <xn:attributes> <xn:userLabel>XXX012</xn:userLabel> <xn:swVersion>R58E68</xn:swVersion> </xn:attributes> </xn:ManagedElement> </xn:MeContext>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarones
4 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)