Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris bash shell send script question Post 302572060 by marcusbrutus on Wednesday 9th of November 2011 05:45:22 AM
Old 11-09-2011
bash shell send script question

Hi Experts,

Need your help.

I am trying to send a command via ssh to about a hundred network devices. I intend to do this via a bash script something similar to the below:

ssh -l user testmachine.com "show version"

Obviously this will not work given the password prompt that comes up prior the command being run.

Please take note that I cannot use RSA keys since that would require my installing my pubkey to each device; this will take forever.
I also can't install sshpass cause I would have to reach out to the server admin; that too will take forever.

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH shell script question

I want to make shell script that takes a list of host names on my network as command line arguments and displays whether the hosts are up or down, using the ping command to display the status of a host and a for loop to process all the host names. Im new to shell scripting so Im not quite sure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewarmour
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

one question for bash shell script

Just one question for bash shell script. In bash script, you can use *.txt to call any files in current folder that ends with .txt, like rm *.txt will remove all txt file in current folder. My question is can you actually remember or use the file name among *.txt, I know file=*.txt will not... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zx1106
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick question: calling c-shell script from bash

Hello, I have a quick reference question: I have a very long, but fairly straigtforward script written in c-shell. I was wondering if it is possible to call this script from bash (for ex. having a function in bash script which calls the c-shell script when necessary), and if so, are there any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lapiduslost
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to send SMS

Hey guys I was wondering how to go about creating a bash script to send SMS..any ideas are appreciated.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzeus
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send e-mail from shell script ( C shell )?

Hi , How to send e-mail from shell script ( C shell ) . Mailx command is not working ( It didn't giving error also ). Please help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script undefined array item value question

Hello, I'm new here. I test these expressions's value in my script : (in centOS 6 ) #!/bin/bash array='something' echo "############" echo ${array} echo ${array} echo ${array} echo "############" The output result is : ################# something something #################... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lingjing
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script: Send files to SFTP using Expect

I have to send few gzipped files from local server to SFTP server. My Server Info Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS Release: 12.04 Codename: precise Created a bash script and could able to send files to sftp, but i want to send email if transfer is successful. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send ctrl-C signal using bash script.

declare -a array=( "LLC-load-misses" "LLC-loads" "LLC-store-misses" "LLC-stores" "branch-load-misses" "branch-loads" "dTLB-load-misses" "dTLB-loads" "dTLB-store-misses" "dTLB-stores" "iTLB-load-misses" "iTLB-loads" "branch-instructions" "branch-misses" "bus-cycles" "cache-misses" "cache-references"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BHASKAR JUPUDI
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

To send ID and Password for each command using expect feature in bash script

Dear Tech Guys, I am trying to send some commands on the local server and it always asks for user name and password after each command. To serve the purpose I am using expect function as follows: #!/usr/bin/expect set timeout 20 spawn "./data1.sh" expect "Please Enter UserName: "... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xtreme
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project