Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Killing a process which is running in different server Post 302571663 by pandeesh on Tuesday 8th of November 2011 02:36:52 AM
Old 11-08-2011
Killing a process which is running in different server

Consider two servers tst01 and tst02.
i need to log in tst01 and check for the processes which run in tst02.
then based on pid , i need to kill that process.

is it possible to achieve?
I am able to connect to tst02 using ftp.
But the problem is, if i use ps it says invalid command.

How i can overcome this and start and stop processes which are in different servers?
thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the list of process running in the server from the local machin n unix ?

how to get the list of process running in the server from the local machin n unix ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guhas
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to check if a process is running in a server from shell script.

I want to write a unix shell script that will check if a process (say debu) is running in the server or not. If no , then send a mail to the corresponding person to start the process??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing of a process and send a mail if the process doesnot come up within 2 minutes

Hi Friends, I am new to this forum as well as new to shell scripting. I have a problem here and i need someone to solve this. Let us consider there are two processes(abc & def).There is a script which kills these two processes(i.e killtheprocess abc). Here abc is the argument . There is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prince89
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor process running on server and posting a mail if any process is dead

Hello all, I would be happy if any one could help me with a shell script that would determine all the processes running on a Unix server and post a mail if any of the process is not running or aborted. Thanks in advance Regards, pradeep kulkarni. :mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of NOHUP - How to keep the child process running even if I close the Server connection

Hi. ! When I use the 'NOHUP' along with the '&', the process will be running in the background. Even when I attempt to close (Meaning 'EXIT') the session (say PUTTY in this case), it wont exit unless the process is completed. But, say when I forcefully terminate the session (SHUT DOWN the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WinBarani
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with killing / running ( minecraft )

alright, i have been trying to kill a process for some time now and im having a hard time to close it. im not sure if anyone on here is familiar with Minecraft, but im running a server from LimestoneNetworks, i had one of my friends set it up since im not as good as he is with linux, he tryed... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: tWkiLler96
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a bash process and running the second part of script

I want to run a script that calls remote ssh and if it gets hung, I want to be able to kill that part of the script and run another command in the script for example I have a statement like this: if ]; then export tapes=$(for tape in $(su - nacct -c 'ssh remote1 "cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing process on remote server

Hi guys, I am trying to write a script that logs into a remote server as root and greps a particular process, awks its PID and then xargs kill -9 . This is the actual command : for i in `cat nodes.txt` do ssh root@$i 'ps -ef | grep puppet | grep -v grep | awk "{print $2}" | xargs kill... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing the process if running for long time in script

I am running a script which will read the data from fail line by line and call the Java program by providing the arguments from the each line. The Java code is working fast for few records and for some records its getting hanged not providing response for morethan one hour. Currently am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
4 Replies
fsx(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    fsx(8)

NAME
fsx - file system exerciser SYNOPSIS
/usr/field/fsx [-h] [-ofile] [-tn] [-fpath] [-pm] OPTIONS
The fsx options are: Prints the help messages for the fsx command. Saves the output diagnostics in file. Run time in minutes (n). The default is to run until the process receives a Ctrl/C or a kill -15 pid command. Number (m) of fsx processes to spawn. The maximum is 250; the default is 20. Path name of directory on file system you wish to test. For example, /mnt or /usr. The default is /usr/field. DESCRIPTION
The fsx exerciser spawns the background process fsxr, and these two processes exercise a file system by creating, opening, writing, open- ing, reading, validating, closing, and unlinking a test file. These test files are created in the /usr/field directory (the default) unless the -fpath option is used. You can spawn up to 250 (default is 20) fsx processes (fsxr1, fsxr2, ... fsxrn where n is the number of processes spawned). The exerciser will run until a Ctrl/C or kill -15 pid command is sent to the process. A logfile for you to examine and then remove is created in the current working directory. If there are errors in the logfile, make sure you check the syslog file where the driver and kernel error messages are saved. RESTRICTIONS
If you must run a system exerciser over an NFS link or on a diskless system, there are some restrictions. For exercisers such as fsx(8), which must write into a file system, the target file system must be writable by root. Also, the directory in which any of the exercisers are executed must be writable by root because temporary files are written into the current directory. These latter restrictions are some- times difficult to overcome because often NFS file systems are mounted in a way that prevents root from writing into them. Some of the restrictions may be overcome by copying fsx and fsxr to another directory and then executing it. Avoid using the fsx exerciser over an NFS or diskless file system. Each time you run fsx, it creates a log file. The exerciser allows you to accumulate up to 9 log files. If you run fsx to create a tenth log file, it exits and displays the following error messages: fsx: Remove old log files fsx: Can not start report generator, test aborted When this situation occurs, remove at least one log file and run fsx again. EXAMPLES
The following example runs 10 fsx processes on /mnt until the process receives a Ctrl/C or kill -15 pid command: % /usr/field/fsx -p10 -f/mnt The following example runs 20 fsx processes on /usr/field for 120 minutes in the background: % /usr/field/fsx -t120 & SEE ALSO
Commands: cmx(8), diskx(8), memx(8), shmx(8), tapex(8) fsx(8)