Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Difference between system calls and normal functions in C Post 302571472 by Corona688 on Monday 7th of November 2011 12:16:19 PM
Old 11-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
BTW all devices on a UNIX box are presented as files. No matter how odd the device might be, so there has to be a way to play with them.
One big important exception to this is network interfaces.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any difference between the CLI of Mac OS X and normal UNIX?

Any? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: edward
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

6. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

7. Solaris

difference between RPATH and normal linking while building

while building in solaris and going for dynamic linking whats the difference or advantage or disadvantage in using RPATH vs while linking package and dependency libraries i need a little explanation about this RPATH option specially and the difference with normal linking using -L (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between normal Execute permission and GUID

Hi, Any can explain the difference between the normal execute permission for the file and GUID of the file. Since the normal execute permission has right to execute file why there is need of providing GUID for the same file. Also share some examples for SUID and SGID programs. Regards... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
3 Replies
VLAN-INTERFACES(5)						   File formats 						VLAN-INTERFACES(5)

NAME
/etc/network/interfaces (vlan) - vlan extensions for the interfaces(5) file format DESCRIPTION
/etc/network/interfaces contains network interface configuration information for the ifup(8) and ifdown(8) commands. This manpage describes the vlan extensions to the standard interfaces(5) file format. Primary extensions exist to make and destroy vlan interfaces, secondary extensions exist for ipv4 interface manipulation which are gener- ally needed when using (a lot of) vlans. VLAN CREATION
Vlan interface definitions exist of the vlan interface name, and an optional 'raw-device' parameter. Vlan interfaces are numbered 1 to 4095. You have the option to have interface names zero-padded to 4 numbers, or just the plain digits without leading zero. The following example shows four ways to create a vlan with id 1 on interface eth0. They all result in different names. iface eth0.1 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface vlan1 inet static vlan-raw-device eth0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface eth0.0001 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface vlan0001 inet static vlan-raw-device eth0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # We don't have br support out of the box iface br0.2 inet static vlan-raw-device br0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # Aliases are ignored iface br0.2:1 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 EXTRA IFACE OPTIONS
Usually someone who uses vlans also wants to do some other manipulations with the ip stack or interface. vlan-raw-device devicename Indicates the device to create the vlan on. This is ignored when the devicename is part of the vlan interface name. ip-proxy-arp 0|1 Turn proxy-arp off or on for this specific interface. This also works on plain ethernet like devices. ip-rp-filter 0|1|2 Set the return path filter for this specific interface. This also works on plain ethernet like devices. hw-mac-address mac-address This sets the mac address of the interface before bringing it up. This works on any device that allows setting the hardware address with the ip command. AUTHOR
This manpage was adapted from interfaces(5) by Ard van Breemen <ard@kwaak.net> SEE ALSO
vconfig(8) interfaces(5) vlan September 30 2007 VLAN-INTERFACES(5)