Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Manipulating Filenames
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Manipulating Filenames Post 302571218 by agama on Sunday 6th of November 2011 09:57:01 PM
Old 11-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by imonkey
Thanks heaps agama that has worked a treat. I can barley understand it but I'll work on it a bit more. Quick question, why does it need to be piped to the kshell?

Not sure if your question was literally why is must be piped to a shell or if you meant must it be kshell -- would bash work. So, here are both answers:

The awk is generating the move commands, but needs kshell to execute them. It could be piped to bash, I just prefer Kshell so that's the way I tested it.

I'll add some comments to the code and maybe that will help you understand it a bit better.

---------- Post updated at 21:57 ---------- Previous update was at 21:45 ----------

Some additional info:
Code:
ls VOD[0-9]*.pdf | awk '
    NF > 1 {        # input line will have more than one field if filename has spaces
        of = $0;                    # save the original filename
        split( $NF, a, "." );       # split the last part of filename into array a using dot as seperator
        n = split( $0, b, " " );    # easy way to get all of the fields into an array
                                    # we put the fields into an array so we can treat both cases identically later
        b[n] = a[1];                # replace last field xxxx.yyyy with just xxxx
        sep = " ";                  # seperator to use when building the move to file
    }

NF == 1 {                       # if just one field, asssume a filename without spaces
        of = $1;                    # save the original name
        split( $1, a, "." );        # split the name (xxx_yyy_zzzz.eee) on the dot xxx_yyy_zzzz goes into a[1] eee into a[2]
        n = split( a[1], b, "_" );  # split the leading lead part into array b using _ as separator
        sep = "_";                  # seperator to use when building the move to file
    }

{                               # this block executed for all files; assumes array b has the filename components and n is the size of b
        printf( "mv \"%s\"  \"%s", of, b[n] );      # print command (mv) original name and  the last component of the name
          for( i = 2; i < n; i++ )   # starting with second component in the name print up to, but not including the last component
            printf( "%s%s", sep, b[i] );
        printf( ".%s\"\n", a[2] );      # add the extension (.xxx) and a newline
    }
' #| ksh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date manipulating

I'm using Kshell scripts cronjobs to logrolling my daily log files and I stamped the log file at the end of the day by date stamp i.e.: %d_%m_%y-LogFile. but the 22_01_2001-LogFile as example contains 21st Jan data and I want to stamp the log file with previous day. so I'm trying to subtract... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamer
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Manipulating File

Help...please. I have a log that contains Warning Authentication Failed: User GHDT88998HS doesn't exit: The User GHDT88998HS could not be found Mar 22, 2008 5:22:22AM com.hometel.ttm.auth.userlogin. about maybe a thousand entries failed user acct message How can I grab just the username... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rivendell500
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string manipulating

I have a file like this: Tue Apr 15 10:41:47 MDT 2008 FINAL RESULT; 6 Tue Apr 15 10:41:47 MDT 2008 FINAL RESULT; 2 Tue Apr 15 10:41:47 MDT 2008 FINAL RESULT; 5 With this command seira=`cut -f 2 -d ';' tes.txt` i take all the results (6,2,5 etc) and i store them in variable seira When i do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: psalas
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help!! manipulating file

Hi all, I need help manipulating the file below. Here is what I needed to do. First, I have to replace INSUPD to DELETE. Then I need to change the content of the file around by flipping the contents in the file from the bottom to the top (start from "CMD") How should I attack this? Here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirrtuan
2 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Manipulating Data

Hi. I haven't had to write bash scripts in a long time and have a simple task to do, but need some help: Input: chrY:22627291-22651542 chrY:23045932-23070172 chrY:23684890-23696359 chrY:25318610-25330083 chrY:25451096-25462570 chr10:1054847-1061799 chr10:1058606-1080131... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awknerd
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Manipulating TOP

I need the command top to output as: Memory: 2048M real, 1499M free, 53M swap in use, 5423M swap free on just the memory line. Instead, I have compiled the new version of top that displays as so: Memory: 2048M phys mem, 1499M free mem, 5476 total swap, 5423M swap free I read... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating a file

Hi everybody, I need an urgent help with a BASH script. I have file which contains (besides the other data) the lines with the following structure identified by with keyword PCList: <PARAMETER NAME="PCList" TYPE="LIST_STRUCTURE" MODEL="{,}" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameucho
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help on manipulating a file

Hi, I need a shell/command to achieve this task. I've a delimited unloaded file from oracle in a scrambled format as shown below with many blank lines in it, I'm just trying to tailor it in a format that would be compatible to view and load it to a IDS db. Here is the problem ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: divak
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Manipulating files

Hi Guys, I'm really new to Unix and Linux and other scripting languages but recently I hv been really enthusiatic about learning more to help out on my work. So I have a file with 3 columns. A sample of it looks like looks like this : K2_537841 AAATCAGCCGCAACATTTGC ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating files

Not sure if the question posted in another forums can be moved by me.So posting the link here. https://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-expert-users/221425-shell-script-manipulate-files.html#post302795379 Need your help here. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vedanta
1 Replies
split(1)							   User Commands							  split(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-linecount | -l linecount] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] split [-b n | nk | nm] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads file and writes it in linecount-line pieces into a set of output-files. The name of the first output-file is name with aa appended, and so on lexicographically, up to zz (a maximum of 676 files). The maximum length of name is 2 characters less than the maximum filename length allowed by the filesystem. See statvfs(2). If no output name is given, x is used as the default (output-files will be called xaa, xab, and so forth). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -linecount | -l linecount Number of lines in each piece. Defaults to 1000 lines. -a suffixlength Uses suffixlength letters to form the suffix portion of the filenames of the split file. If -a is not specified, the default suffix length is 2. If the sum of the name operand and the suffixlength option-argument would create a filename exceeding NAME_MAX bytes, an error will result; split will exit with a diagnostic message and no files will be created. -b n Splits a file into pieces n bytes in size. -b nk Splits a file into pieces n*1024 bytes in size. -b nm Splits a file into pieces n*1048576 bytes in size. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of the ordinary file to be split. If no input file is given or file is -, the standard input will be used. name The prefix to be used for each of the files resulting from the split operation. If no name argument is given, x will be used as the prefix of the output files. The combined length of the basename of prefix and suffixlength cannot exceed NAME_MAX bytes. See OPTIONS. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of split when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of split: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csplit(1), statvfs(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 16 Apr 1999 split(1)