Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: trouble with loop counting
Top Forums Programming trouble with loop counting Post 302571189 by Corona688 on Sunday 6th of November 2011 04:27:59 PM
Old 11-06-2011
This code is intentionally obtuse. They modify the same counting variable many times per loop. They allow the child to continue looping after fork() -- meaning, the child itself will call fork() on the next loop! And the child will have its own, independent value of var!

The most effective way I see to tackle this program is brute force. Make a big chart of what changes when. Mentally work your way through the program and fill it out.

Their random indenting makes it impossible to see where anything begins or ends, too; tis should help.
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
#include<stdlib.h>
#include<sys/types.h>
#include<unistd.h>
#include<wait.h>

int main (int argc, char *argv[]){

int var = 0;
    pid_t p;

while(++var <5)
    {/*as long as it is less than this it will do fork*/
        if((p=fork()) < 0)
        {
            perror("fork error");
            exit(1);
        }
        else if(p ==0)
        { /*if it is the child*/
            var--; /*count down*/
        }
        else
        {
            if(waitpid(p,NULL,0) != p){/*if waipid is not equal p*/
                perror("waitpid error");
                exit(1);/*exit with status signal1*/
            }/*end if*/

var++;
        } /*end if/else*/
        var++;
    }/*end while*/

printf("pid=%d, ppid=%d var=%d, p=%d\n", getpid(), getppid(), var, p);
    exit(0);
}/*end main*/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start more than one database - trouble with for loop

I have seen this done before - and maybe there is a better way too. I want to be abe to use a for loop (or other better method) to loop through the database instance names that are part of the script - not an external file where a read might be ok. Here is what I have and I know won't work -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave-mentor
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Trouble

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my code here? I'm experiencing weird behavior... I am using 'j' to go down a list filenames saved in a .txt file and prompting the user whether or not she would like to delete each one. This works all well and fine the first run through, but then instead of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSymphony
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop syntax trouble

i don't get what's wrong here. i'm writing a shell script that takes 1 argument (a number) from the command-line, but it's throwing an error: Syntax error: Bad for loop variable doesn't make much sense for (( i = 1; i = ${1}; i++ )) # error points to this line everytime do echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: visitorQ
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the lines of diff files in loop

i have two file. i want to count the lines of each file one by one in loop and compare it. can any one pls help me on this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with a file path as awk output in for loop

When I run the following command in the shell it works fine. It prints a city name and then a path for a file. ~$ for i in `awk -F':' '{print $0}' /home/knoppix/Desktop/data/subs | grep -m 1 $ city | sed "s/:/ /"` >do >echo $i >done Now, when I place it in this shell script (sh) it prints... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: afroCluster
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble displaying parameters passed into a for loop

#!/bin/bash function check_num_args() { if ; then echo "Please provide a file name" else treat_as_file $* fi } function treat_as_file() { numFiles=$# for((i=1;i<=$numFiles;i++));do echo $i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikilahooch
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop Counting Question

I figured this out, but I wanted to pose the question. I was writing a while loop that required counting the amount of times the job had run, for example. An example below is what I had: variable=0 while : do variable = `expr $variable + 1` done That didn't do what I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phunk
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble understand and using for loop

Good evening all I have what might be a simple problem to solve but I do not know how to solve it myself. I am writing a bash script and my code looks something like this: mp3=`ls | grep \.mp3` for f in $mp3 do echo $f done Basically what I want to do is look through the current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistsong1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Considerable trouble with for loop in combination with awk

I have the text file where each line has the format: chr10 101418889 101418904 0.816327 Right now the interval between column 2 and 3 is 15. I only want the two consecutive positions starting at position 1, write it to a file, then move up one position write to file etc. So that: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfern
1 Replies
PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)

NAME
pthread_atfork - register handlers to be called at fork(2) time SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_atfork(void (*prepare)(void), void (*parent)(void), void (*child)(void)); DESCRIPTION
pthread_atfork registers handler functions to be called just before and just after a new process is created with fork(2). The prepare han- dler will be called from the parent process, just before the new process is created. The parent handler will be called from the parent process, just before fork(2) returns. The child handler will be called from the child process, just before fork(2) returns. One or several of the three handlers prepare, parent and child can be given as NULL, meaning that no handler needs to be called at the cor- responding point. pthread_atfork can be called several times to install several sets of handlers. At fork(2) time, the prepare handlers are called in LIFO order (last added with pthread_atfork, first called before fork), while the parent and child handlers are called in FIFO order (first added, first called). To understand the purpose of pthread_atfork, recall that fork(2) duplicates the whole memory space, including mutexes in their current locking state, but only the calling thread: other threads are not running in the child process. The mutexes are not usable after the fork and must be initialized with pthread_mutex_init in the child process. This is a limitation of the current implementation and might or might not be present in future versions. RETURN VALUE
pthread_atfork returns 0 on success and a non-zero error code on error. ERRORS
ENOMEM insufficient memory available to register the handlers. AUTHOR
Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> SEE ALSO
fork(2), pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3). LinuxThreads PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)