Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SFTP bash put/get/rm check
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SFTP bash put/get/rm check Post 302570515 by Corona688 on Thursday 3rd of November 2011 01:08:33 PM
Old 11-03-2011
FTP is very simple and stupid. It's also not always the same, which makes parsing 'DIR' output annoying. It's also very insecure -- passwords transmitted as plaintext. Trying to script with it is annoying at best.

Is the server on the same network as you? Would it be possible to export the directory as a windows file share, then mount it on your UNIX system? There's various ways to do that on different systems. Linux can handle them natively with the cifs driver.

Then it'd be as simple as making sure the share is mounted, copying the file, looking for other files, removing, etc. No FTP baggage.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP - 'put' doing an 'mput'

Hi guys, I'm having a problem with F-Secure Unix. When I try a simple command; sftp> put local.test remote.test I expect that the local file local.test would be copied to the remote file remote.test However sftp is attempting to copy local.test & remote.test from the local machine, as if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b0bbins
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

sftp -> put : How to uplaod only newer files

I have tried winscp, filezilla to copy data from windows xp SP2 machine to the sun sparc unix machine. However speed is around 120 to 130 kb/sec. I do have lot of files & with large size. So I switched to windows command prompt & transfered few files using sftp command. Its very fast as compared... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: _prasad
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SFTP - Overwrite [Put -P <file>] option

Hi All Experts, I hope you are all ok! :D My question is simple but I was not able to find an answer in the internet, and that's why I am here! My question is: when I sftp to a server and use "put -P" option to put a file, it keeps the file's full permission and access time. Check below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: felipe.vinturin
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP PUT

Hi, ServerA (SFTP server) ServerB (SFTP client) ServerB:> sftp user@ServerA ServerB:> put sample.txt ServerB:> get sample2.txt My question is that which machine will encrypt the sample.txt and sample2.txt files. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arpit Narula
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to check the value greater than or less than and give out put to a file

HI, I have one file which is as below cat /var/tmp/test1 | awk '{ print $3}'|grep -v affected Data ---------- 200.4 . The above 200 value is changable by the database script. Now I need a script that checks the value 200.4 and the script shoud give out put if value is more than 225 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani4u
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

In put password automatically to sftp command

Hi all, i have to sftp a file to another server I don't have "expect" or sshpass on my machine its solaris 10, i want to pass password in command line or after doing this sftp user@server how to automatically provide the password as input ( stored in some variable or so) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zozoo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

./CARE_SM_SFTP.sh[27]: put: not found error while doing sftp

Hi, I am getting the below error while doing sftp in a script file but the same is getting executed when i run from command prompt ./CARE_SM2_SFTP.sh: put: not found Code :- sftp ${USER_ID}@${FTPHOST4}:/opt/path put <Filename with path> chmod 777 <FileName with Path>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
2 Replies

8. Linux

Put -r is not working in SFTP

Hi Folks, I am trying to copy a directory along with sub-directories to SFTP server. I have connected to SFTP and tried to run the below command: sftp> get -r abc/* It is throwing the error Invalid flag -r Can you please let me know the ways to copy a directory from Local to SFTP ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirans.229
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sftp,[put] all files that are .csv to server. Linux Ubuntu

Hello all, I am trying to sftp files to a server, I am using keys as authentication and I can connect with no problems. I can also put a sample file on the server. When I tried to automate this process with a .sh file I get the "couldn't canonicalize: Failure". This is my script: sftp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KidKoder
5 Replies
MOUNT_FTP(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      MOUNT_FTP(8)

NAME
mount_ftp -- mount a FTP filesystem SYNOPSIS
mount_ftp [-i] [-o options] ftp://host[:port][/path] node DESCRIPTION
The mount_ftp command mounts a FTP-enabled server directory at ftp://host[:port][/path] at the mount point indicated by node. If the -i option is not used, all the required information to establish a login to the remote server must be available in the ftp URL, including username & password if needed. The user ID for all files and folders is set to the user's real user ID. The group ID for all files and directories is set to unknown, and the permissions default to read and execute for user, group and other. The options are: -i Interactive mode, you are prompted for the username and password if you did not supply one in the url. -o Options passed to mount(2) are specified with the -o option followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. The rdonly option will be set even if it was not specified because mount_ftp does not allow files to be opened with write access on servers. ftp://host[:port][/path] The FTP-enabled server directory to mount as a volume. If port is not specified, then port 21 is used. If path is not specified, then the path "/" is used. node Path to mount point. EXAMPLES
The following example illustrates how to mount the FTP-enabled server directory ftp.apple.com/ at the mount point /Volumes/mntpnt/ mount_ftp ftp://ftp.apple.com/ /Volumes/mntpnt/ SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), mount(8) HISTORY
The mount_ftp command first appeared Mac OS X Version 10.2. RETURN VALUES
0 mount_ftp successfully mounted the server directory. [ENOENT] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because the node path is invalid. [ENODEV] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because it is not FTP-enabled or because it does not exist, or because node does not have proper access. [ECANCELED] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because the user did not provide proper authentication credentials. BUGS
mount_ftp only supports mounting read-only. Mac OS X June 6, 2003 Mac OS X