Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fail to boot HPUX
Operating Systems HP-UX fail to boot HPUX Post 302570436 by vbe on Thursday 3rd of November 2011 09:42:42 AM
Old 11-03-2011
The tape has an option: -i if used when generating the tape... If it were not the case the tape process as you have seen can be interrupted to go in interactive mode, but this is of no use unless you want to interact with the system to modify e.g LVM layout.
If you boot from the tape and dont interfere, it will go in batch mode and every thing for you... It will take him about 3-4 hours...

That said
Your task will be after to restore every thing after using your backup software because your system (vg00 that is ) will be at the state the ignite tape was produced...
Files that may have changed are /etc/passwd ( and new accounts...), was the machine patched since? Have you created new FS since etc..

Good luck
Before If you can, try to read the /var/opt/syslog/syslog.log or OLDsyslog.log to see if it did complain about bad disk.. if not you may have had a corruption where a disk was not bootable...
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 9 install cd boot fail

Hi I hv try to install Solaris 9 on a SPARC machine. The machine now is with Solaris 10 OS. I try to load a Solaris 9 installation cd in and use "boot cdrom" on ok promt, but it give me "no boot device found" when it boot up. and when i use fsck, the system show me an error with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niuniu
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 x86 1/06 CD1 boot fail

Hello all. I download last version from sun.com, unzip iso's and burn their to cd's. When i try to load (on different machines) from first cd i receive this errors: /kernel/fs/specfs: undefined symbol '' /kernel/fs/specfs: undefined symbol '' ... several screens same message ....... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mozheyko_d
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Fail to up network interface after system boot

Hi! I have Sun SPARC Enterprise T5140 with Solaris 10 and it unable to up network interface after boot, but after issuing ifconfig interface begins to work... svcs -xv says that service svc:/network/physical:default is failed to start and service log stores something like "service method... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
5 Replies

4. BSD

kernel fail to boot after recompile it

Salamo Alikom after recompilation my kernel does not boot and display msg said : enter full path to bash : /bin/sh i try fsck -r ,fsck -y but the problem is steel . my make.conf : PERL_VER=5.8.8 OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8 PERL_VERSION=5.8.8 MODULES_OVERRIDE = linux acpi accf_http pccard msdosfs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIFE
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

hpux 11.31 vgimport fail

i'm trying to vgimport the map file from vgexport -p -v -s -m to fail over node (adoptive node in service guard). root@noe04:/etc/cmcluster/icasprd$ vgimport -s -m gicasprd.110810.map /dev/vgicasprd vgimport: Volume group "/dev/vgicasprd" already exists in the "/etc/lvmtab" file. the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

HPUX 11.31 vgextend fail

Hi, when i try to add new disk, it's an XP disk from SAN (lun) to the volume group, it fails because "TOO MANY LINKS" :/etc/cmcluster/icastst$ vgextend /dev/vgicastst /dev/disk/disk684 Current path "/dev/dsk/c51t8d3" is an alternate link, skip. Current path "/dev/dsk/c51t8d4" is an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

RHEL6 Diskless Remote boot fail

Hi guys, I've been trying to set up a server for disk-less booting of remote machines on a network. The server host OS is RHEL6 and I have configured dhcp, tftp and nfs services which are proven to be working since I am able to install RHEL6 through pxe boot. Now I want it to serve for disk-less... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aninmuk
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

HPUX Boot failure.

When I login to the live console of my server and go to the console, I am getting the below message Processor is booting from the first available device. To discontinue, press any key within 10 seconds. 10 seconds expired. Proceeding... Trying Primary Boot Path... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chacko193
11 Replies

9. Red Hat

System fail to boot

Hi im using centos 6.4 starting yesterday i have a strange issue that im unable to resolve. the system is booting to GRUB menu and the os is not starting. i tried to run a repair install and the message attached is what i get, what can cause this? thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guy3145
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Serious problem to fail boot up

My current OS using the solaris 9 and find the reboot , it returns the message even i restore , and boot -s Hardware watchdog enabled Configuring ATM interfaces: NOTICE: VxVM not started configuring IPv4 interfaces: bge0 bge3 ce0 ce3. Hostname: devuardms01 mount: mount-point /usr does... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_user
10 Replies
VMSBACKUP(1)						      General Commands Manual						      VMSBACKUP(1)

NAME
vmsbackup - read a VMS backup tape SYNOPSIS
vmsbackup -{tx}[cdenvw][s setnumber][f tapefile] [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
vmsbackup reads a VMS generated backup tape, converting the files to Unix format and writing the files to disc. The default operation of the program is to go through an entire tape, extracting every file and writing it to disc. This may be modified by the following options. c Use complete filenames, including the version number. A colon and the octal version number will be appended to all filenames. A colon, rather than a semicolon, is used since the Unix Shell uses the semicolon as the line separator. Using a colon prevents the user from having to escape the semicolon when referencing the filename. This option is useful only when multiple versions of the same file are on a single tape or when a file of the same name already exists in the destination directory. The default is to ignore version numbers. d use the directory structure from VMS, the default value is off. e Process all filename extensions. Since this program is mainly intended to move source code and possibly data from a DEC system to a Unix system, the default is to ignore all files whose filename extension specifies system dependent data. The file types which will be ignored, unless the e option is specified, are exe VMS executable file lib VMS object library file obj RSX object file odl RSX overlay description file olb RSX object library file pmd RSX post mortem dump file stb RSX task symbol table file sys RSX bootable system file tsk RSX executable task file f Use the next argument in the command line as the tape device to be used, rather than the default. If vmsbackup is compiled with the remote tape option and the file name has the form system[.user]:/dev/??? vmsbackup will use the tape drive /dev/??? on the remote system system, via rsh(1), and rmt(8). The optional user portion of the pathname specifies the login name to use on the remote system. If it is not supplied, the current user's login name will be used. In all the cases, the user must have the appropriate permissions on the remote machine, in order to use this facility. The default is /dev/rmt8 (drive 0, raw mode, 1600 bpi). This must be a raw mode tape device. n If the tape has a variable-length record format, then do not append a newline onto the end of the records. This option does not affect stream or FORTRAN files. s saveset Process only the given saveset number. t Produce a table of contents (a directory listing) on the standard output of the files on tape. v Verbose output. Normally vmsbackup does its work silently. The verbose option will cause the filenames of the files being read from tape to disk to be output on the standard output. w vmsbackup prints the action to be taken followed by file name, then wait for user confirmation. If a word beginning with `y' is given, the action is done. Any other input means don't do it. x extract the named files from the tape. The optional name argument specifies one or more filenames to be searched for specifically on the tape and only those files are to be processed. The name may contain the usal sh(1) meta-characters *?![] 0n. FILES
/dev/rmtx SEE ALSO
rmtops(3) BUGS
The filename match uses the complete VMS file names. AUTHOR
John Douglas Carey Sven-Ove Westberg VMSBACKUP(1)