Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help simplifying an if statement Post 302570211 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 04:30:01 PM
Old 11-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
grep -F (on modern systems that support it) gets around the need for that.
Not all systems support grep -F. -F == fixed strings, no regular expressions

It is POSIX behavior.

grep
or one can use 'fgrep' to search for 'literal strings'.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in simplifying a sed command

I need to do a substitution: CPF to ,C,P,F, CPM to ,C,P,M, SPF to ,S,P,F etc. I can do each of them with separate substitutions e.g. s/CPF/,C,P,F/ but I'd like to know if there is a more elegant solution. In general, how can I use the results of the search in the substitution, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wvdeijk
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplifying the For loop

Is there a way to simplify stating 1 through to 10, for example in a for loop construct? for x in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do .... done I have tried (1-10) with no luck.. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirtrancealot
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simplifying awk

tcpdump -nr testdump|awk '!/:/;gsub(/^+|+$/,""){print $3};a!~$0;{a=$0};{print $3};!/length/;/./;!/11\:/;!/8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1/;!/UDP/{b=$0} END {for (j=i-1; j>=0; ) print b };{for (i=NF; i>0; i--) printf("%s ",i);printf ("\n")}' *NOTE IN j>=0 the ; ) was given a space since a smiley is showing up...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sil
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Simplifying my script

Hi, Is there a way to simplify the below script? Because I am having problems executing this if I added this to CRON. Also, you may notice that its objective is to put all information in one file (rm1.txt). And in addition file "sRMR_6.txt" to sRMR_23.txt" changes its information everyday.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibora
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplifying IPv6 addresses from user input

hi friends, im new to scripting and am tiring out to valid an ip address if user inputs 9 : 003 : 0 : 0 : 100 : 256 ,i need to suppress all leading zeros and single zero ie out put for the same should be 9 : 3 : : : 100 : 256 can any help using awk ,regular expression to split the string... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeepjeede
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplifying sed/tr

Hi all, I don't have much experience with shell scripting and I was wondering if there's a shorter way to write this. Basically, given a list of strings separated by new lines, I want to prepend each string with a prefix and separate the strings with commas i.e. stra strb strc becomes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vshan
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simplifying awk/sed short pipeline

I have a file like this: FileName,Well,Sample Description,Size ,Calibrated Conc. ,Assigned Conc. ,Peak Molarity ,Area,% Integrated Area,Peak Comment,Observations 2017-11-15 - 13.49.50.D1000,EL1,Electronic Ladder,25,5.22,,321,0.803,,,Lower Marker 2017-11-15 - 13.49.50.D1000,EL1,Electronic... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
6 Replies
BZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZGREP(1)

NAME
bzgrep, bzfgrep, bzegrep - search possibly bzip2 compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
bzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzegrep [ egrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzfgrep [ fgrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Bzgrep is used to invoke the grep on bzip2-compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If bzgrep is invoked as bzegrep or bzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, bzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep bzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; bzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca). Adapted to bzip2 by Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> for Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), bzdiff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzip2(1) BZGREP(1)