Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Shell Script to ping systems & make a log Post 302570112 by mikelking on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 12:08:17 PM
Old 11-02-2011
For logging I recommend using logger which will pipe you log message directly to syslog. The main advantage is that you can offload normal log maintenance. Honestly there's no sense reinventing the wheel.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping from Unix script

I have two queries in regard to a Unix script. 1) From a Unix script, I want to read the IP of another remote HP-UX server and want to just check if that machine is reachable or the IP exists. I don't know the login Id and password of the remote machine. I could not properly manage with ping. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script delete log files from folder & subfolders on space usage

Hi, I am trying to write a shell script to delete logs generate by db when space in the folder reaches 70%. i am getting space values from db, find the files at OS and remove them by using a cron job runs every 5minutes. I have to keep the latest 5 files at any time, my problem is that log files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for ping

hi anyone, i want shell script for ping command. any one post here............ (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameshreddy.ema
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for ping, Linux

I woul like to create a script in order to make a ping to a server and save in a variable a 1 if respond or a 0 if it doesnt. Then with that I could make a graffic of the server, for how long it is up.:b: So far I have this: if ; then #if the ip respond the ping shows online echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsebastiang0
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script problems in hp unix systems

test.sh -------------- #This script deletes the temporary files created on the server when the user opens the output files # FILE_PATH=$1 P_FILE_PATH=$2 FRQ=$3 #FRQ=`expr $FRQ*60*24 | bc` #FRQ= 60 echo $FILE_PATH echo $P_FILE_PATH echo $FRQ if then find $FILE_PATH -mmin... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunbodduuxlx
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping shell script - need urgent help

Hi friends, i have a file contains IP address like below cat file.txt 10.223.20.1 10.223.20.2 10.223.20.3 10.223.20.4 10.223.10.5 . . . like this Now i want to make a script which gives output whether each ip is pinging or not... the result will be like this 10.223.20.1 up... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva kumar
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP Shell Script Get & Delete && Upload & Delete

Hi All, Do you have any sample script, - auto get file from SFTP remote server and delete file in remove server after downloaded. - only download specify filename - auto upload file from local to SFTP remote server and delete local folder file after uploaded - only upload specify filename ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weesiong
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to ping multiple servers

Hi I did the following script to ping multiple servers, but I keep on receiveing duplicate emails for one server that is down: #!/bin/bash date cat /var/tmp/servers.list | while read output do ping -c 1 "$output" > /dev/null if ; then echo "node $output is up" else ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
10 Replies
LOGGER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 LOGGER(1)

NAME
logger -- make entries in the system log SYNOPSIS
logger [-46Ais] [-f file] [-h host] [-P port] [-p pri] [-t tag] [message ...] DESCRIPTION
The logger utility provides a shell command interface to the syslog(3) system log module. The following options are available: -4 Force logger to use IPv4 addresses only. -6 Force logger to use IPv6 addresses only. -A By default, logger tries to send the message to only one address, even if the host has more than one A or AAAA record. If this option is specified, logger tries to send the message to all addresses. -i Log the process id of the logger process with each line. -s Log the message to standard error, as well as the system log. -f file Read the contents of the specified file into syslog. -h host Send the message to the remote system host instead of logging it locally. -P port Send the message to the specified port number on a remote system, which can be specified as a service name or as a decimal number. The default is ``syslog''. If an unknown service name is used, logger prints a warning and falls back to port 514. -p pri Enter the message with the specified priority. The priority may be specified numerically or as a ``facility.level'' pair. For exam- ple, ``-p local3.info'' logs the message(s) as informational level in the local3 facility. The default is ``user.notice.'' -t tag Mark every line in the log with the specified tag rather than the default of current login name. message Write the message to log; if not specified, and the -f flag is not provided, standard input is logged. EXIT STATUS
The logger utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
logger System rebooted logger -p local0.notice -t HOSTIDM -f /dev/idmc SEE ALSO
syslog(3), syslogd(8) STANDARDS
The logger command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
March 4, 2014 BSD