Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: about RARP
Special Forums IP Networking about RARP Post 302570031 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 09:28:38 AM
Old 11-02-2011
No. The frame type is 0x8035 for an RARP request.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Alternate to RARP Solaris 5.6 & 5.8

I am a Cisco Engineer and have run into a problem with the boot process for UNIX servers running Solaris 5.6 & 5.8 OS. Currently the servers boot using RARP to discover IP configuration. This works and is OK as long as everything is on the same network where the broadcasts are free to roam. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmerg59
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Jumpstart: Rarp protocol specifics

I am having trouble locating a boot server on my subnet. I am trying to avoid installing a boot server if one exisits. Is there a way for me to broadcast a Rarp request to see if any boot servers are on my subnet and if so identify them? I think this will only work if the Rarp protocol supports... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhm4
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with waiting for ARP/RARP packet

All, I am no UNIX guru and all of them on my project have been unable to figure out the situation regarding the "waiting for ARP/RARP packet" issue we are experiencing. Hopefull, someone here will have some much needed insight.... The workstation is crashing while no one is around, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chezmargm
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timeout waiting for arp/rarp error

hello folks, I am trying to install solaris 10 through network using jumpstart but the thing is i am facing problem with the following message problem Timeout waiting for arp/rarp i made sure everything correct as /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers cables are connected, plz anyone help me out (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solar10
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 2.6 looking for ARP/RARP packet

Hi Everybody :) This is my first post concerning Solaris 2.6 trying to boot on a Tadpole SparcBook 3. I bought the laptop from somebody who configured it for his network. For the moment I want it as a non-networked standalone machine, or at least have that option. On trying to boot I get an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JuBiLeE_50_05
0 Replies
IFCONFIG(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       IFCONFIG(8)

NAME
ifconfig - configure a TCP/IP device SYNOPSIS
ifconfig [-I ip-device] [-h ipaddr] [-n netmask] [-iv] DESCRIPTION
Ifconfig initializes a TCP/IP device setting the IP address and/or netmask. It will report the address and netmask set. This command may be used if the system has not been configured properly yet. It is only used at boot time to set a fixed address for a system without a physical ethernet. Normally the inet task will find it out by itself from the RARP server. OPTIONS
-h The decimal TCP/IP address to set. -n The netmask to set. -i Don't set the IP address or netmask if already set. This way ifconfig cannot interfere if the numbers have been found out by RARP. -v Report IP address and netmask. This is the default action if there are no other options. SEE ALSO
hostaddr(1), rarpd(8), set_net_default(8), boot(8). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) IFCONFIG(8)