Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Shell Script to ping systems & make a log Post 302570007 by psychoTHEIST on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 08:44:32 AM
Old 11-02-2011
Unix Shell Script to ping systems & make a log

Hi,
I need to ping all the systems in my network and then create a log for the ones, from where I successfully get the ping-response (ICMP packet).

Now, I've used the ping command successfully, but am unable to use 'grep' command to locate the IPs for which the ping was successful (so that I can log other info about 'em).

Kindly help, please!
Thanks!

Code:

[user_psn@Centos ~]$ cat ping.sh
#ip1=133
#ip2=173
#ip3=174
#ip4=216
counter=1
echo "_____________________________________________________________________________"
for ip in $(seq 133 216)
do
  echo "START PING #"$counter >> psn.txt
  echo "_____________________________________________________________________________" >> psn.txt
  cat | ping -c 1 192.168.17.$ip >> psn.txt
  echo "_____________________________________________________________________________" >> psn.txt
  echo "END PING #"$counter >> psn.txt
  counter=`expr $counter + 1`
done

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags <- click the link!

Last edited by zaxxon; 11-02-2011 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: code tags, see PM

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping from Unix script

I have two queries in regard to a Unix script. 1) From a Unix script, I want to read the IP of another remote HP-UX server and want to just check if that machine is reachable or the IP exists. I don't know the login Id and password of the remote machine. I could not properly manage with ping. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script delete log files from folder & subfolders on space usage

Hi, I am trying to write a shell script to delete logs generate by db when space in the folder reaches 70%. i am getting space values from db, find the files at OS and remove them by using a cron job runs every 5minutes. I have to keep the latest 5 files at any time, my problem is that log files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for ping

hi anyone, i want shell script for ping command. any one post here............ (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameshreddy.ema
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for ping, Linux

I woul like to create a script in order to make a ping to a server and save in a variable a 1 if respond or a 0 if it doesnt. Then with that I could make a graffic of the server, for how long it is up.:b: So far I have this: if ; then #if the ip respond the ping shows online echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsebastiang0
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script problems in hp unix systems

test.sh -------------- #This script deletes the temporary files created on the server when the user opens the output files # FILE_PATH=$1 P_FILE_PATH=$2 FRQ=$3 #FRQ=`expr $FRQ*60*24 | bc` #FRQ= 60 echo $FILE_PATH echo $P_FILE_PATH echo $FRQ if then find $FILE_PATH -mmin... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunbodduuxlx
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping shell script - need urgent help

Hi friends, i have a file contains IP address like below cat file.txt 10.223.20.1 10.223.20.2 10.223.20.3 10.223.20.4 10.223.10.5 . . . like this Now i want to make a script which gives output whether each ip is pinging or not... the result will be like this 10.223.20.1 up... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva kumar
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP Shell Script Get & Delete && Upload & Delete

Hi All, Do you have any sample script, - auto get file from SFTP remote server and delete file in remove server after downloaded. - only download specify filename - auto upload file from local to SFTP remote server and delete local folder file after uploaded - only upload specify filename ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weesiong
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to ping multiple servers

Hi I did the following script to ping multiple servers, but I keep on receiveing duplicate emails for one server that is down: #!/bin/bash date cat /var/tmp/servers.list | while read output do ping -c 1 "$output" > /dev/null if ; then echo "node $output is up" else ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
10 Replies
asadmin-jms-ping(1AS)						   User Commands					     asadmin-jms-ping(1AS)

NAME
jms-ping - checks to see if the JMS provider is up and running SYNOPSIS
jms-ping --user admin_user [--password admin_password] [--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--passwordfile filename] [--secure|-s] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--interactive=false] Checks to see if the JMS provider is up and running. This command is supported in remote mode only. OPTIONS
--user authorized domain application server administrative username. --password password to administer the domain application server. --host machine name where the domain application server is running. --port port number of the domain application server listening for administration requests. --passwordfile file containing the domain application server password. --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the domain application server. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. --interactive if set to true (default), only the required password options are prompted. Example 1: Using jms-ping asadmin> jms-ping --user admin --password adminadmin --host bluestar --port 4848 server1 JMS Ping Status=RUNNING EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-create-jmsdest(1AS), asadmin-delete-jmsdest(1AS), asadmin-list-jmsdest(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-jms-ping(1AS)