Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Not able to untar file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Not able to untar file Post 302569928 by zaxxon on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 04:31:38 AM
Old 11-02-2011
Ok.
-t is for listing the archives contents, that's ok too. I wanted to see the contents. Do you mind listing them? Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

unTar a specific file from remote

During tar, the command used is tar cvf - * | remsh system_name dd of=/dev/rmt/0m bs=10k To untar all, we used remsh system_name "dd if=/dev/rmt/0m ibs=10k" | tar xvf - Question? How to untar a specific file from remote? Thanks alot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Untar a TAR file at different location

Hi, I want to UNTAR a TAR file at different location. Is it possible? My TAR file contains the files with absolute path. Malay (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

untar to a specified file

I have file1.tar and want to untar it under /server/file2. If I do tar -xvf file1.tar, the files will be deployed under file1. How to specify the destination folder?? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

unable to UNTAR a file

Hi frens, I have to install samba on UNIX box for that i have downloaded the samba file from netand now trying to untar that file and getting following error: # tar -xvf samba-3.0.28a.tar.gz UX:tar: ERROR: Directory checksum error even i checked many times by again downloading the file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do I untar file through an ssh session?

Hi All, How do I untar (tar xvf) a file through an ssh session? I have a tar file with "relative path names". I scp the file to a remote host:/tmp - no prob. But when I untar the file through ssh from a remote host it puts it in my "home directory" under the relative path - not in /tmp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joe McCaughan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to untar latest tar file

I am trying to put together a script that will check for the latest file in a directory then extract it. The extraction and the scheduling I can do, but am not sure how to get it to check for the latest file. These files are uploaded every evening by an external party and the previous days files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stheologo
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

untar a tar file

how can I untar a file without extracting it? sample: file.tar to file thanks, lara (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

untar a single file from down in the tree

I have a tar file that I need to extract a single file to the current directory. The file I want to extract is located in the tar at the following path inside the tar file: repository/parts/SDCG.tgz I use the following command to extract the file: tar xf delivery.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpinsky
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to untar a file in HP UX!

Hi, I have been trying to untar this file hello.tar which consists of 3 files but nothing happens: eux750{root}# tar -xvf hello.tar x /hello, 8405 bytes, 17 tape blocks Why am I not able to see the untarred files.:wall: Thanks to help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: terminator
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to untar the below file?

I need to extract the below file. could you please let me know how to extract by using unix command. manfucture.today.1678.tar.gz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
5 Replies
nisls(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          nisls(1)

NAME
nisls - list the contents of a NIS+ directory SYNOPSIS
nisls [-dglLmMR] [name...] DESCRIPTION
For each name that is a NIS+ directory, nisls lists the contents of the directory. For each name that is a NIS+ object other than a direc- tory, nisls simply echos the name. If no name is specified, the first directory in the search path is listed. See nisdefaults(1). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Treat NIS+ directories like other NIS+ objects, rather than listing their contents. -g Display group owner instead of owner when listing in long format. -l List in long format. This option displays additional information about the objects such as their type, creation time, owner, and access rights. The access rights are listed in the following order in long mode: nobody, owner, group owner, and world. -L This option specifies that links are to be followed. If name actually points to a link, it is followed to the linked object. -m Display modification time instead of creation time when listing in long format. -M Master only. This specifies that information is to be returned from the master server of the named object. This guarantees that the most up to date information is seen at the possible expense that the master server may be busy. -R List directories recursively. This option will reiterate the list for each subdirectory found in the process of listing each name. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
NIS_PATH If this variable is set, and the NIS+ name is not fully qualified, each directory specified will be searched until the object is found. See nisdefaults(1). EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. 1 Operation failed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nisdefaults(1), nisgrpadm(1), nismatch(1), nistbladm(1), nis_objects(3NSL), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 10 Dec 2001 nisls(1)