Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with viewing the Log files Post 302569723 by bobby1015 on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 11:06:27 AM
Old 11-01-2011
Well, as soon as the logs are generated they get archived at the end of the day. If i want to view a particular log on a specified date? How am I going to achieve it? I could see only the following

-rw-rw-r-- 1 dv cse 137 Nov 1 10:39 logfiles_tar.tgz

I believe all the logs will be going into logfiles_tar.tgz.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem Viewing Text Files In NT/Samba

I have a problem viewing text files in NT(Samba) with files stored on a Unix Box. The unix box is actually my FTP server where various OS's FTP to it. The text file is ftp'd from IBM to the Unix Box and viewed in NT. The problem is that the return carriage does not register in the text file. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cwong
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing files in a directory?

How do I view files in a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ania
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

viewing binary files in ASCII

Hi, How to view binary files in ASCII format.???????????????? Bye (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjunath
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing Tar files

I have backed up a job ona ait tape from unix. i would like to retrieve the data from that tape from a windows pc. i am aware that there may be software available that will allow windows to recognise .tar files. does anyone know where i can source this software or is there any other options (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mapping
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing files

I have a file (called CORE) that is a dump created by a crashing process. This file, I believe, is in "binary" form, so when I try to use cat, more, or vi on it, it has a bunch of garbage. Is there anything I can use to "read" or view this file just like I might a non-binary file? I am running... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing files of another unix server (in a folder)

I think that's what I'm trying to do. This is the problem: I log onto my comp, Comp1. Then, from the terminal, since my web server is on another comp, I type: xrlogin Comp2, so I log on to that computer. I then navigate to my directory by typing: cd /domain/myDir, so I am in my directory, on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Djaunl
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

viewing/information of binary files

Hi all, Is there a way of viewing a binary file through a UNIX session? Or perhaps viewing information of a binary file through a session? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing Ebcidic files

I am having trouble viewing these files from my unix session. vi comes back with line too long. Also an m_dump with the relevant dml comes back with problems. How can I view this as a text file? Also is there an easy way to view specific records within. Eg I have a policy id (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trek88
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

viewing the *.msg files

Is there any way we can view the *.msg files in unix / linux ? Example cat aa.msg Or Do we need to do any decryption ? Kindly provide the solution? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Viewing a specific timeframe of a log file

Hi guys Done a bit of research online but can't seem to figure it out, is there anyway of grepping or using sed to view a specific time period of a log file. I am trying to view a log file for Saturday 22nd April between 08:00 - 12:00 I saw this command online and tried but doesn't seem to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
10 Replies
UUENCODE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       UUENCODE(1)

NAME
uuencode, uudecode -- encode/decode a binary file SYNOPSIS
uuencode [-m] [inputfile] outputname uudecode [-m | -p] [encoded-file ...] DESCRIPTION
uuencode and uudecode are used to transmit binary files over transmission mediums that do not support other than simple ASCII data. The following options are available: -m Use base64 encoding. uuencode reads inputfile (or by default the standard input) and writes an encoded version to the standard output. The encoding uses only printing ASCII characters and includes the mode of the file and the operand outputname for use by uudecode. uudecode transforms uuencoded files (or by default, the standard input) into the original form. The resulting file is named outputname as recorded in the encoded file, and will have the mode of the original file except that setuid and execute bits are not retained; if the -p option is specified, the data will be written to the standard output instead. uudecode ignores any leading and trailing lines. EXIT STATUS
The uudecode and uuencode utilities exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it, uuencodes it and mails it to a user on another system. tar czf - src_tree | uuencode src_tree.tgz | mail user@example.com On the other system, if the user saves the mail to the file temp, the following example creates the file src_tree.tgz and extracts it to make a copy of the original tree. uudecode temp tar xzf src_tree.tgz SEE ALSO
gzip(1), mail(1), tar(1), uuencode(5) STANDARDS
The uudecode and uuencode utilities conform to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
The uudecode and uuencode utilities appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
The encoded form of the file is expanded by 35% (3 bytes become 4 plus control information). BSD
November 30, 2008 BSD