Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do i find the first number in each line and insert dummy string into the missing columns? Post 302569717 by CarloM on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 10:41:53 AM
Old 11-01-2011
Is the numeric 4 column in the output always going to be column 5, or is it variable (whatever the maximum num4 column was in the input)?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to insert dummy columns

Hi My requirement is as follows, I have a input feed coming for X as A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P; A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P; A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P; A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P; A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P; any other feed coming from Y is as ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smolgara
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text at line number

I wrote a script to grep for a closing XML node. Then I need it to navigate up a line and insert some XML. Then go to the next occurrance. I have this INSERT_NODE='<QUANTITATIVE NAME="'${QR_NAME}'" QUANT="1" />' GREP_FOR='</JOB>' TMP_FILE=/tmp/lineArray.$$ if ]; then continue else ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: J-Man
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find out line number of matching string using grep

Hi all, I want to display line number for matching string in a file. can anyone please help me. I used grep -n "ABC" file so it displays 6 ABC. But i only want to have line number,i don't want that it should prefix matching context with line number. Actually my original... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find missing numbers from a number series

Hi, My requirement is I have an input file with a continuous series from 10000 to 99999. I have some numbers missing from those series. I want a output file which produces those missing numbers. Eg: 10002, 99999 are missing from the series then the output file should contain those... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshbharadwaj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find missing string with bash

If I have a file called file A with a list of filenames. How do I find all the filenames in file A that aren't contained in file B? I want to use bash scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to output a line missing a number

Ok, Lets see if I can explain this We have a script that pulls information from multiple files and outputs it, however I only need 2 Columns (of 11) from it right now I run the script like this: tkxtrn | awk '{print $5" "" "$9}' This gives me column 5 and 9, the only two I care for ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowkraze
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert String every n lines, resetting line counter at desired string

I need to read a text file and insert a string every n lines, but also have the line counter restart when I come across a header string. Line repeating working every 3 lines using code: sed '0~3 s/$/\nINSERT/g' < INPUT/PATH/FILE_NAME.txt > OUTPUT/PATH/FILE_NAME.txt I cannot seem to find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skonectthedots
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to insert missing string based on pattern in file

Using the file below, which will always have the first indicated by the digit after the - and last id in it, indicated by the digit after the -, I am trying to use awk to print the missing line or lines in file following the pattern of the previous line. For example, in the file below the next... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD