Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lvrename to a mounted device
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers lvrename to a mounted device Post 302569272 by galuzan on Sunday 30th of October 2011 01:45:36 PM
Old 10-30-2011
lvrename to a mounted device

Hi,
I wanted to rename a filesystem but I forgot to unmount it before running lvrename and now it is still visible when doing df -k

old name
device:
/dev/mapper/vg01-MGRSTR3
mounted as /MGRSTR3

new name:
/dev/mapper/vg01-mgrusr3
mounted as /mgrusr3

when trying to unmount the old one i'm getting 'device busy' but 'fuser -cu' doesnt show any process running

[root@server MGRSTR3]# umount /dev/mapper/vg01-MGRSTR3
umount: /MGRSTR3: device is busy
umount: /MGRSTR3: device is busy

how can I fix this?

df -k output:

Code:
/dev/mapper/vg01-MGRSTR3
                      75957344  44354216  27746528  62% /MGRSTR3

/dev/mapper/vg01-mgrusr3
                      75957344  44354216  27746528  62% /mgrusr3

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Checking if device is mounted..

Hi, I want to check if a device is mounted before performing actual mount. I was able to check that using the below C code. But in C++ it is throwing the following error: " error: invalid conversion from `int' to `const char*' " C program just generated a warning message, but C++ throws... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
3 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Not mounted, no-driver USB device in terminal (how to access?)

hi, i am on a quest to access and even mount if possible a drive on os x. there is no driver for the device, but it lists fine in the system profiler. can i access its location from the terminal? how? here is what i get on the system profiler: Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sontarieh
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Which system calls to move data on a device with mounted partitions?

I need to be able to move data around a disk that has mounted partitions. I am not touching the data on the mounted partition, the MBR or any other disk metadata, only the freespace and unmounted partitions. At the moment I am using libparted but it causes data corruption sometimes although there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vstrom
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
LVEXTEND(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       LVEXTEND(8)

NAME
lvextend - extend the size of a logical volume SYNOPSIS
lvextend [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--noudevsync] [-i|--stripes Stripes [-I|--stripesize StripeSize]] {-l|--extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] | -L|--size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE]} [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] LogicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath[:PE[-PE]]...] DESCRIPTION
lvextend allows you to extend the size of a logical volume. Extension of snapshot logical volumes (see lvcreate(8) for information to cre- ate snapshots) is supported as well. But to change the number of copies in a mirrored logical volume use lvconvert(8). OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. --noudevsync Disable udev synchronisation. The process will not wait for notification from udev. It will continue irrespective of any possible udev processing in the background. You should only use this if udev is not running or has rules that ignore the devices LVM2 cre- ates. -l, --extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] Extend or set the logical volume size in units of logical extents. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size of the logical volume and without it, the value is taken as an absolute one. The number can also be expressed as a percentage of the total space in the Volume Group with the suffix %VG, relative to the existing size of the Logical Volume with the suffix %LV, of the remaining free space for the specified PhysicalVolume(s) with the suffix %PVS, as a percentage of the remaining free space in the Volume Group with the suffix %FREE, or (for a snapshot) as a percentage of the total space in the Origin Logical Volume with the suffix %ORIGIN. -L, --size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] Extend or set the logical volume size in units of megabytes. A size suffix of M for megabytes, G for gigabytes, T for terabytes, P for petabytes or E for exabytes is optional. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size of the logical volume and with- out it, the value is taken as an absolute one. -i, --stripes Stripes Gives the number of stripes for the extension. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a sin- gle value throughout. -I, --stripesize StripeSize Gives the number of kilobytes for the granularity of the stripes. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a single value throughout. StripeSize must be 2^n (n = 2 to 9) Examples "lvextend -L +54 /dev/vg01/lvol10 /dev/sdk3" tries to extend the size of that logical volume by 54MB on physical volume /dev/sdk3. This is only possible if /dev/sdk3 is a member of volume group vg01 and there are enough free physical extents in it. "lvextend /dev/vg01/lvol01 /dev/sdk3" tries to extend the size of that logical volume by the amount of free space on physical volume /dev/sdk3. This is equivalent to specifying "-l +100%PVS" on the command line. "lvextend -L+16M vg01/lvol01 /dev/sda:8-9 /dev/sdb:8-9" tries to extend a logical volume "vg01/lvol01" by 16MB using physical extents /dev/sda:8-9 and /dev/sdb:8-9 for allocation of extents. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), lvcreate(8), lvconvert(8), lvreduce(8), lvresize(8), lvchange(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.67(2) (2010-06-04) LVEXTEND(8)