Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using the part of a line as a variable? Post 302569072 by rpf on Saturday 29th of October 2011 09:47:54 AM
Old 10-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tip78
try this:
Code:
alias mycmd='perl -we "$ARGV[0]=~/\@.+?(\/.+)/;`cd $1`"'

or that:
Code:
alias mycmd='perl -we "$ARGV[0]=~/\@.+?(\/.+)/;chdir qq($1)"'

it gives the error following

Can't exec "cd": No such file or directory at -e line 1.

---------- Post updated at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:25 PM ----------

ok now trying to put it my bin file

---------- Post updated at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tip78
well..
Code:
alias mycmd='perl -we "$ARGV[0]=~/\@.+?(\/.+)/;system qq(cd $1)"'

???

whatever
make a script 'mycmd' and put it in your /usr/sbin

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

chdir"$1" if($ARGV[0]=~/\@.+?(\/.+)/);

if it's not work again try to change 'chdir "$1"' for 'system "cd $1"' or `cd $1`

but FIRST don't forget to make 'unalias mycmd'

for all of three there are some syntax errors Smilie

---------- Post updated at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:37 PM ----------

for all of three there are still some syntax errors

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repacing part of string with a variable

I have following strings in a file DUPTASMTRMMBAL,20070416200704160117232101172321,,,,,,,@@@Y DUPTASMTRMMCON,20070416200704160127189901271899,,,,,,,@@@Y DUPTASMTRMMHG,,20070416200704160112051001120510,,,,,,,@@@Y What i need to do is replace the date 20070416 with anoth date which is stored in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: divz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy part of a variable

Hi, i was using a input file to get the last line of the file.But now i have stored the values from the file to a variable and want the last line from the variable . Slightly confused on how to extract that data from the variable. previous code, cat input.txt <TIME>00:15:48</TIME>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shellslave
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How read the part of the string into a variable?

Hi, I'm using bash and brand new to shell script. I would like to do the following. I have a string which is "UPDATE=1.0". I would like to read the value "1.0" alone in a variable. i.e the things afer "=" How do I do that? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptfriend
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the line starting with a pattern and save a part in variable

Hi i have a file which has mutiple line in it. inside that i have a pattern similar to this /abc/def/hij i want to fine the pattern starting with "/" and get the first word in between the the symbols "/" i.e. "abc" in this case into a variable. thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kichu
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Printing a part of the last line of the specific part of a file

Hi, I have 80 large files, from which I want to get a specific value to run a Bash script. Firstly, I want to get the part of a file which contains this: Name =A xxxxxx yyyyyy zzzzzz aaaaaa bbbbbb Value = 57 This is necessary because in a file there are written more lines which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a part of variable/line content in a file

I have a variable and assigned the following values ***XYZ_201519_20150929140642_20150929140644_211_0_0_211 I need to read this variable from backward and stop read when I get first underscore (_) In this scenario I should get 211 Thanks Kris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkris
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove part of the line from start of the line?

Hello, I am java command from a shell script which will generate the below output on the command prompt signature Base64 :... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetanojha
10 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)