Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using the part of a line as a variable? Post 302569067 by tip78 on Saturday 29th of October 2011 09:12:53 AM
Old 10-29-2011
try this:
Code:
alias mycmd='perl -we "$ARGV[0]=~/\@.+?(\/.+)/;`cd $1`"'

or that:
Code:
alias mycmd='perl -we "$ARGV[0]=~/\@.+?(\/.+)/;chdir qq($1)"'

Last edited by tip78; 10-29-2011 at 10:19 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to For This Post:
tip78

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repacing part of string with a variable

I have following strings in a file DUPTASMTRMMBAL,20070416200704160117232101172321,,,,,,,@@@Y DUPTASMTRMMCON,20070416200704160127189901271899,,,,,,,@@@Y DUPTASMTRMMHG,,20070416200704160112051001120510,,,,,,,@@@Y What i need to do is replace the date 20070416 with anoth date which is stored in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: divz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy part of a variable

Hi, i was using a input file to get the last line of the file.But now i have stored the values from the file to a variable and want the last line from the variable . Slightly confused on how to extract that data from the variable. previous code, cat input.txt <TIME>00:15:48</TIME>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shellslave
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How read the part of the string into a variable?

Hi, I'm using bash and brand new to shell script. I would like to do the following. I have a string which is "UPDATE=1.0". I would like to read the value "1.0" alone in a variable. i.e the things afer "=" How do I do that? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptfriend
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the line starting with a pattern and save a part in variable

Hi i have a file which has mutiple line in it. inside that i have a pattern similar to this /abc/def/hij i want to fine the pattern starting with "/" and get the first word in between the the symbols "/" i.e. "abc" in this case into a variable. thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kichu
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Printing a part of the last line of the specific part of a file

Hi, I have 80 large files, from which I want to get a specific value to run a Bash script. Firstly, I want to get the part of a file which contains this: Name =A xxxxxx yyyyyy zzzzzz aaaaaa bbbbbb Value = 57 This is necessary because in a file there are written more lines which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a part of variable/line content in a file

I have a variable and assigned the following values ***XYZ_201519_20150929140642_20150929140644_211_0_0_211 I need to read this variable from backward and stop read when I get first underscore (_) In this scenario I should get 211 Thanks Kris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkris
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove part of the line from start of the line?

Hello, I am java command from a shell script which will generate the below output on the command prompt signature Base64 :... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetanojha
10 Replies
DB_COMMAND(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					     DB_COMMAND(9)

NAME
DB_COMMAND, DB_SHOW_COMMAND, DB_SHOW_ALL_COMMAND -- Extends the ddb command set. SYNOPSIS
#include <ddb/ddb.h> DB_COMMAND(command_name, command_function); DB_SHOW_COMMAND(command_name, command_function); DB_SHOW_ALL_COMMAND(command_name, command_function); DESCRIPTION
The DB_COMMAND() macro adds command_name to the list of top-level commands. Invoking command_name from ddb will call command_function. The DB_SHOW_COMMAND() and DB_SHOW_ALL_COMMAND() are roughly equivalent to DB_COMMAND() but in these cases, command_name is a sub-command of the ddb show command and show all command, respectively. The general command syntax: command[/modifier] address[,count], translates into the following parameters for command_function: addr The address passed to the command as an argument. have_addr A boolean value that is true if the addr field is valid. count The number of quad words starting at offset addr that the command must process. modif A pointer to the string of modifiers. That is, a series of symbols used to pass some options to the command. For example, the examine command will display words in decimal form if it is passed the modifier "d". EXAMPLE
In your module, the command is declared as: DB_COMMAND(mycmd, my_cmd_func) { if (have_addr) db_printf("Calling my command with address %p ", addr); } Then, when in ddb: db> mycmd 0x1000 Calling my command with address 0x1000 db> SEE ALSO
ddb(4) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Guillaume Ballet <gballet@gmail.com>. BSD
August 27, 2008 BSD