Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove 1st character in periodic lines Post 302568714 by sargotrons on Friday 28th of October 2011 04:38:38 AM
Old 10-28-2011
Is exactly that, to be specific in which line it replace, in my case from the 2nd and then every 4th plus line.
Thank you both!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I remove lines that have more than one of a certain character in them?

I have a file with a few thousand lines and I'd like to remove all the lines that have more than 1 asterik (the * character) in it. So if it has 2 or more in a single line, I'd like the line removed (double d command in vi) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remove lines from file where > 13 occurrences of character

I have a '~' delimited file of 6 - 7 million rows. Each row should contain 13 columns delimited by 12 ~'s. Where there are 13 tildes, the row needs to be removed. Each row contains alphanumeric data and occasionally a ~ ends up in a descriptive field and therefore acts as a delimiter, resulting... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpd
7 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove lines if the first character is "|"

Hi. I have a huge file (350 million lines). I need to delete all lines in it that: 1. Begin with a pipe character -- '|' 2. Or have less than 5 pipe characters in the line Have been searching for some SED/AWK help for this (which is faster btw on such a ginormous file?) but only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkiula
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem ---to remove the lines which starts with one type of character

Hi, I have one file, I need to check if file exist or not and then remove the lines which starts with ? My file1.out data is some thing abcabcppp xyzxyzpqr ????????? ????????? Output should be in test.out abcabcppp xyzxyzpqr I am getting the output as below but the File does not exist... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramyajiguru1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove previous line if next & previous lines have same 4th character.

I want to remove commands having no output. In below text file. bash-3.2$ cat abc_do_it.txt grpg10so>show trunk group all status grpg11so>show trunk group all status grpg12so>show trunk group all status GCPKNYAIGT73IMO 1440 1345 0 0 94 0 0 INSERVICE 93% 0%... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove lines ending with a certain character

I have a file of a content like this: abc_bla -def 800 abc_bla -def 802 abc_bla -def 804 abc_bla -def 806 abc_bla -def 808 abc_bla -def 810 abc_bla -def 812 abc_bla -def 814 ... abc_bla -def 898 abc_bla -def 900 abc_bla -def 902 abc_bla -def 904 ... abc_bla -def 990 abc_bla -def... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: maya3
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newline character from column spread over multiple lines in a file

Hi, I came across one issue recently where output from one of the columns of the table from where i am creating input file has newline characters hence, record in the file is spread over multiple lines. Fields in the file are separated by pipe (|) delimiter. As header will never have newline... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
4 Replies
SWISS::GNs(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SWISS::GNs(3pm)

Name
       SWISS::GNs.pm

Description
       SWISS::GNs represents the GN lines within an SWISS-PROT + TrEMBL entry as specified in the user manual
	http://www.expasy.org/sprot/userman.html . The GNs object is a container object which holds a list of SWISS::GeneGroup objects.

Inherits from
       SWISS::ListBase.pm

Attributes
       "list"
	     Each list element is a SWISS::GeneGroup object.

"and" (deprecated, for old format only)
	     Delimiter used between genes. Defaults to " AND ".

"or" (deprecated, for old format only)
	     Delimiter used between gene names. Defaults to " OR ".

Methods
   Standard methods
       new
       fromText
       toText

Reading/Writing methods
       text [($newText)]
	   Sets the text of the GN line to the parameter if it is present, and returns the (unwrapped) text of the line.  Also sets 'and' and 'or'
	   delimiters to the first occurrences of the words "OR" and "AND" in the line, conserving the case.

lowercase (deprecated, for old format only)
	   Sets the GNs::and and GNs::or delimiters to their lower case values.

uppercase (deprecated, for old format only)
	   Sets the GNs::and and GNs::or delimiters to their upper case values.

getFirst()
	   Returns first gene name in gene line

getTags($target)
	   Returns evidence tags associated with $target

$target is a string

isPresent($target)
	   Returns 1 if $target is present in the GN line

$target is a string

needsReCasing($target)
	   If $target is present in the GN line, but wrongly cased, method returns the matching name in its current case

$target is a string

replace($newName, $target, $evidenceTag)
	   Replaces the first GN object in the GN line whose text attribute is $target with a new GN object whose text attribute is set to
	   $newName and whose evidenceTags attribute is is set using values set by splitting $evidenceTag on /, / (as name is not being changed,
	   programs should keep old tag and add new tag).  Does nothing if $target is not found.

delete($target)
	   Removes synonym/single-member gene group matching $target. Note that if a "Name" is deleted, the first "Synonym" will be promoted to
	   "Name"

addAsNewSynonym($newName, $target, $evidenceTag, $location)
	   Adds a new GN object (with text attribute set to new $newName, and evidenceTags attribute set to ($evidenceTag)), as a synonym to the
	   first gene group in which $target is a gene name.  Does nothing if $target is not found.  Will not add a duplicate gene name.
	   $location determines where in gene group new object is added: if $location == 1, 2, 3, ..., new object added in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ...
	   position; if $location == 0, new object added before $target; if $location == -1, new object added after $target (default); if
	   $location == -2, new object added at end of gene group.  Note that if the new synonym is inserted in the first postion, it will become
	   the "Name" and the previous "Name" will be downgraded to first "Synonym"

addAsNewGeneGroup($newName, $target, $evidenceTag, $location)
	   Adds a new GeneGroup object, comprising 1 GN object (with text attribute set to new $newName, and evidenceTags attribute set to
	   ($evidenceTag)). Will not add a duplicate gene name.  $location and $target determine where in GNs line new group is added: if
	   $location == 1, 2, 3, ..., new object added in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ... position; if $location == 0, new object added before $target; if
	   $location == -1, new object added after $target (default); if $location == -2, new object added at end of GNs line.	Does nothing if
	   $target is not found, and $location == 0 or -1; otherwise $target does not need to be set.

replaceGeneGroup($newGeneGroup, $target)
	   Replaces the first gene group containing $target with $newGeneGroup.  Creating the $newGeneGroup correctly is the user's responsibility

getGeneGroup($target)
	   Returns the first gene group that contains $target

setToOr()
	   Retruns a new GNs object, but with all GNs objects in a single gene group.  Needed when adding 'C' to 'A and B', when the relationship
	   of 'C' to 'A' and 'B' is unknown: the universal use of ' or ' is the default delimeter for TrEMBL entries

TRANSITION
The format of the GN line will change in 2004 from: GN (CYSA1 OR CYSA OR RV3117 OR MT3199 OR MTCY164.27) AND (CYSA2 OR GN RV0815C OR MT0837 OR MTV043.07C). to: GN Name=CysA1; Synonyms=CysA; OrderedLocusNames=Rv3117, MT3199; GN ORFNames=MtCY164.27; GN and GN Name=CysA2; OrderedLocusNames=Rv0815c, MT0837; ORFNames=MTV043.07c; This module supports both formats. To convert an entry from the old to the new format, do: $entry->GNs->is_old_format(0); perl v5.10.1 2006-01-26 SWISS::GNs(3pm)