Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX A problem with an unused ethernet port reporting as down... Post 302566870 by Michael Mullig on Friday 21st of October 2011 03:55:46 PM
Old 10-21-2011
A problem with an unused ethernet port reporting as down...

Good morning,

Saw this on a system this morning, thought I'd check with this group before calling IBM.

Basically what we have here is a P7 running 6.1 reporting the following in errpt:

LABEL: GOENT_LINK_DOWN
IDENTIFIER: EC0BCCD4

This is for ent4, which is odd because we don't have anything plugged into that port. I tried doing a diag on that and I got an error code of "803-256E: Software error encountered running Diagnostic Application on ent4."

I'm a little worried that this might be indicative of a wonky NIC -- it's the vagueness of the "software error" that's got me concerned. Another possibility is that a fellow admin was doing some analytics on the network connections on this server and that may have blipped ent4, but I thought I'd check with this community and see if anyone's encountered this before.

Thanks all!

Mike

---------- Post updated at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:54 AM ----------

Never mind. Did some closer observation. Seems someone doing some metrics on the networking kicked on en4, sans address. I brought it down and detached it and things seem clear now.

Sorry about the false alarm. Smilie

-- Mike
This User Gave Thanks to Michael Mullig For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

determining ethernet port speed in solaris

i purchased, what was labeled as a 4-port fast ethernet sbus card from ebay. i installed it in my ultra1, and it seems to be working fine. how can i determine if the card is infact a fast ethernet card vs. the standard ethernet 4-port card? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
7 Replies

2. Solaris

ethernet problem

Boot device: /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@w500000e0103c3391,0:a File and args: SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_108528-29 64-bit Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. ifconfig: plumb: qfe2: Bad file number configuring IPv4 interfaces: eri0. moving addresses... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fredginting
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Reg. Ethernet port

Hi Friends, I am using intel system installed solaris 10, when i check ifconfig -a it doesn't show any thing eg-for HP servers hme0, for sun servers-iprb0. for me it doesn't show any thing, and tell me what files to be modified. Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kurva
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Ethernet Port Name

I have a new Sun 440 and I am trying to configure it. Non of the Ethernet ports are enabled; when I issue "ifconfig -a" it returns nothing. Is there a way to know the available port name (e.g. ce, bge, etc.) by running a command or so ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
4 Replies

5. AIX

Temporarily disabling unused ethernet adapter

Hi, In our AIX 5.2 server , we have one unused ethernet adapter which doesn't have cable connection . For this interface , we are getting alerts in errpt . Could you suggesthow to stop this alert ? And sametime i would like to keep this device in ODM . Is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sekarsamy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to match ethernet port to network card

hi I juts want to know if there is a command that checks if an ethernet port corresponds to a network card. ex. I have 3 network cards, one is two ports, and the other two 8 ports. How do I know that eth0 corresponds to the the two-port network card and eth9 corresponds to the first 8-port... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Ethernet Port device path?

Hi, I have a server program that reads data coming in on USB ports. Device paths are in the format: /dev/ttyUSB0 Now, I would like to log data from another device coming in over Ethernet. My first step is trying to track down what the correct device path is which I am unsure of. Anyone... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora18
9 Replies
OD(1)								   User Commands							     OD(1)

NAME
od - dump files in octal and other formats SYNOPSIS
od [OPTION]... [FILE]... od [-abcdfilosx]... [FILE] [[+]OFFSET[.][b]] od --traditional [OPTION]... [FILE] [[+]OFFSET[.][b] [+][LABEL][.][b]] DESCRIPTION
Write an unambiguous representation, octal bytes by default, of FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE argument, concatenate them in the listed order to form the input. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. All arguments to long options are mandatory for short options. -A, --address-radix=RADIX decide how file offsets are printed -j, --skip-bytes=BYTES skip BYTES input bytes first -N, --read-bytes=BYTES limit dump to BYTES input bytes -S, --strings[=BYTES] output strings of at least BYTES graphic chars -t, --format=TYPE select output format or formats -v, --output-duplicates do not use * to mark line suppression -w, --width[=BYTES] output BYTES bytes per output line --traditional accept arguments in traditional form --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Traditional format specifications may be intermixed; they accumulate: -a same as -t a, select named characters, ignoring high-order bit -b same as -t o1, select octal bytes -c same as -t c, select ASCII characters or backslash escapes -d same as -t u2, select unsigned decimal 2-byte units -f same as -t fF, select floats -i same as -t dI, select decimal ints -l same as -t dL, select decimal longs -o same as -t o2, select octal 2-byte units -s same as -t d2, select decimal 2-byte units -x same as -t x2, select hexadecimal 2-byte units If first and second call formats both apply, the second format is assumed if the last operand begins with + or (if there are 2 operands) a digit. An OFFSET operand means -j OFFSET. LABEL is the pseudo-address at first byte printed, incremented when dump is progressing. For OFFSET and LABEL, a 0x or 0X prefix indicates hexadecimal; suffixes may be . for octal and b for multiply by 512. TYPE is made up of one or more of these specifications: a named character, ignoring high-order bit c ASCII character or backslash escape d[SIZE] signed decimal, SIZE bytes per integer f[SIZE] floating point, SIZE bytes per integer o[SIZE] octal, SIZE bytes per integer u[SIZE] unsigned decimal, SIZE bytes per integer x[SIZE] hexadecimal, SIZE bytes per integer SIZE is a number. For TYPE in doux, SIZE may also be C for sizeof(char), S for sizeof(short), I for sizeof(int) or L for sizeof(long). If TYPE is f, SIZE may also be F for sizeof(float), D for sizeof(double) or L for sizeof(long double). RADIX is d for decimal, o for octal, x for hexadecimal or n for none. BYTES is hexadecimal with 0x or 0X prefix, and may have a multiplier suffix: b 512, kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, GB 1000*1000*1000, G 1024*1024*1024, and so on for T, P, E, Z, Y. Adding a z suffix to any type displays printable characters at the end of each output line. Option --string without a number implies 3; option --width without a number implies 32. By default, od uses -A o -t oS -w16. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report od bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for od is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and od programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info coreutils 'od invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 OD(1)